Soccer Opens Season with Shutout Wins

BLAKE LARGENT | SPORTS EDITOR •

After beginning the 2019 season with an away contest against Franklin College and a home matchup against Earlham College, the Wabash College soccer team grabbed two shutout victories to start off the year undefeated.

In last Friday’s away matchup against Franklin, Wabash battled to a 1-0 victory to claim their third-straight win against the Grizzlies. Franklin (0-2) has not defeated Wabash since the 2013 season, and the Little Giants have gone 4-0-2 against the Grizzlies since that last loss. 

Wabash was able to grab the victory off of a lone goal from Joshua Scott ‘22 with 26:13 left in the first half. Scott, whose goal was assisted by Joseph Kaefer ‘22, scored for the first time in his career. While the contest came down to a matter of just one goal, the Little Giants outshot the Grizzlies by a margin of 19-6 and by a margin of 9-4 on shots on goal. Although Wabash was able to put pressure on Franklin in terms of shots, the Grizzlies were able to force the Little Giants into eight total offsides penalties.

Throughout the first half, Wabash pressured Franklin often with an offensive presence, posting 10 total shots in the half. The Grizzlies were able to get three shots off in the first half, as well as many corner and free kicks, but none resulted in a goal. During the second half of play, the Little Giants continued to pressure the Grizzlies with their offense, putting up a total of nine shots in the half. Franklin again shot three total times in the half, but Wabash goalkeeper Chad Wunderlich ‘21 maintained the 1-0 shutout and finished with four total saves in the match.

In Wednesday’s home opener against Earlham College, the Little Giants pressured the Quakers early and often, scoring two goals within the first 15 minutes en route to a 3-0 shutout.

Wabash (2-0) was led in goals by freshman defender Alexis Delgado ‘23, who scored the first goal of his young career just under three minutes into the match and quickly followed with another goal 12 minutes into the match, which pushed the score to 2-0 at the time.

In the first half, the Little Giants put together 14 total shots, with seven of those being shots on goal. Earlham (0-1-2) was held to zero first-half shots by the Wabash defense, and managed to get only one corner kick during the half. In the second half, Wabash showed no mercy as they continued to pressure Earlham’s defense. The Little Giants put up four more shots in the half, with one connecting for another goal as Kyle Holmer ‘21 scored his first goal of the season just under four minutes into the second half. Earlham, once again, could not muster any shots in the second half, and was shut out for the second time this season. Wunderlich added another shutout to his résumé, which is the sixteenth total shutout in his Wabash career.  

According to the team’s website, this is the first time since 2010 that the Little Giants’ soccer team has held an opponent to zero shots throughout a match. The Little Giants will look to remain undefeated when they play Friday, September 6 at the Wilmington Classic in Wilmington, Ohio against Grove City College at 5 p.m. and Saturday, September 7 against Adrian College at 1 p.m.