Peck Dinner Bring RNC Lawyer to Campus

REED MATHIS ’22 | STAFF WRITER • For any Wabash student there is always an event occurring on campus, and if you do not think so, check your school email inbox more often.

On behalf of the Pre-Law society and the College, the 45th Annual Peck Lecture and Dinner will take place on Monday, March 18th. The lecture will begin at 5:00, in Baxter 101, with a reception immediately following, and dinner, at 6:30, to close the evening.

The recipient of the Peck Medal and the honorary speaker this year is John Ryder ‘71, who after graduating from Wabash College continued his academic career at the Vanderbilt University Law School. Ryder ‘71 served as an assistant county attorney for Shelby County, Tennessee, and in 2000, joined the Harris Shelton law firm. Currently, Ryder ‘71 teaches election law at Vanderbilt University. Along with this extensive career
of practicing law Ryder has, also,
been involved with many different roles within the Republican Party as, the chair of the RNC Redistricting Committee in 2009 and being appointed the chief counsel for the Republican National Convention (RNC) in 2013.

“There are very few people who are walking around with similar experiences,” said Scott Himsel ‘85 Associate Professor of Political Science, Dept Chair. Ryder through the lecture will detail his role in 2016 RNC, and his work around, now, President Trump.

The dinner will consist of giving out awards, such as the Peck Medal and Junior Peck Medal- given to a Wabash Senior, the Bingham Award, William Nelson White Scholarship, and the Joseph J. Daniels Prize. Close to thirty lawyers will be in attendance, most of them Wabash alums, including the first winner of the Peck Medal, Mark Eckerle ‘74.

As someone who has attended every Peck Dinner during his time at Wabash, William Armbuckle ‘19 knows the event has a sizeable impact for the school and is as rewarding for the students and faculty who attend. “Being able to see your fellow classmates win awards and networking with attorneys and their experiences after Wabash, is fun and worthwhile,” said Arbuckle.

The lecture and dinner is not only for professors and students interested in law, while the R.S.V.P. for the dinner is closed, everyone is more than welcome to attend and obtain a better insight into Ryder’s experiences working with the political figures he has throughout his career, and what he took away from his time at Wabash College.