College Presents Master Plan

BRYCE BRIDGEWATER ’19 & ALEXANDRU ROTARU ’21 | EDITOR-IN-CHIEF & STAFF WRITER • Last Tuesday, Wabash presented what Wabash could look like in 2032 to the public, pending approval from the Board of Trustees in May. The expansion represents Wabash’s continued commitment to its academic mission. The masterplan was developed to make sure the College continues to spend money wisely. Mainly, the school aims to renovate current campus buildings, as well as adding new buildings to the campus.

After multiple ad hoc meetings, the College is looking to finalize its plans in a few weeks for presentation. The College aims to preserve the campus mall and the arboretum, while adding new spaces for gathering across campus. They want to connect buildings through reorganized and enhanced pathways, promoting a sense of arrival. The College also wants to reduce traffic by improving parking and street crossings.

One of the main priorities for the new plan is a Campus Commons building. The College plans to demolish Wolcott Hall, Morris Hall, and the Sparks Center to place this new building. The commons will be for both independent and greek students with dining options and event space for 350 people. The new building will include a pub, recreation room, and bookstore. Along with seating inside, commons will consist of an outside seating area.

Lilly Library will also be getting a renovation. The College will enhance study spaces as well as other small upgrades to the building. Center Hall will be getting an update as well. The building will become more student-centered. Center will also have more entrances to the mall, working to engage itself more with the center of campus. The College will aim to add 100 beds through this new plan, too. Theta Delta Chi will get a new house at the corner of Jefferson and Grant, which will free up 25 beds in College Hall.

The Armory will go through a beautification along with health upgrades. Baxter Hall will get a new annex and IT support as well as new office and classroom space. Detchon Hall and the Fine Arts Center will get some minor upgrades as well.

Hollett Little Giant Stadium will see an increase in the capacity of the homestand but the College plans to remove the visitor side stands. The press box and the concession stands are getting renovated as well.

The College also recognizes many different environmental efforts that can be taken to reduce its carbon footprint. Wabash will try to implement local solar energy efforts as well as different carbon capture projects.

Along with some other small changes, Wabash might look very different by the time the bicentennial roles around in 2032. Most students will not see
any impact of these changes in their time here, but incoming seniors should expect some differences coming to the historic halls of Wabash College.