Baseball looks to Rebound after Spring Break Trip

BRYCE BRIDGEWATER ’19 | EDITOR-IN-CHIEF • Wabash baseball returns home tomorrow after a week in the desert of Arizona facing some of the top teams in the country. It was the first time all season where the team could play games without the threat of cold weather. In Tucson, the team played six games, going 2-4 on the week.

“It was nice to get out on the field for a long period of time,” Eric Chavez ’19 said. “We found out a lot of things we need to work on, which is good.”

In the first two games, the Little Giants played previously ranked Aurora University for a Sunday doubleheader. In game one, the Little Giants trailed 10-2 in the fifth inning. Over the last 2 innings, the Little Giants added six more runs, but ultimately could not overcome the early deficit, losing 8-11. Andrew Jumonville ’21 lead the team with 3 RBIs in game one. In game two, the Little Giants added three runs in the last two innings to send the game into extras. After five extra innings, Aurora singled to end the game, 6-5. Sean Roginski ’19 lead the Little Giants with 2 RBIs including one in the seventh inning to help tie the game.

The next day, the Little Giants played Carthage College. Thanks to an early offensive output, the Little Giants rolled to an 11-6 win. Erich Lange ’19 and Roginski had 3 RBIs each. Tyler Dearing ’21 lead the Little Giants on the mound with five shutout innings, racking up four strikeouts.

“This was big,” Chavez said. “Carthage is really good. This was a glimpse on how good we can be. We need to bring that effort every game for the rest of the season.”

The Little Giants closed out their spring break trip with three games against Gustavus Adolphus College.

In game one, the Little Giants were lead by Roginski again with 4 RBIs and went 3-4 on the day, including one homerun. Wabash’s save leader, Zach Moffett ’20, added his second save of the year to lead the Little Giants to a 6-4 victory.

“This was a hard fought game,” Chavez said. “Our bullpen has been solid all year, keeping us in games. They won us this game.”

Wabash could not keep up their mini win streak however, dropping the next two games against Adolphus. In the second game, the Little Giants struggled to get the offense going, dropping game two, 2-5. Jumonville had both RBIs. The Little Giants stole seven bases in game two. In game three, Wabash trailed 9-0 after three innings. Despite mounting a seven run comeback, lead by Canton Terry’s ’21 three RBIs, Wabash dropped the last game of the trip, 7-10.

The Little Giants return to action tomorrow at Goodrich Ballpark against Hanover College. Last year, the Little Giants defeated Hanover in two games, 8-3 and 3-1. Following the three games against Hanover, Wabash returns home to face Manchester University in a weekday doubleheader. Wabash split the doubleheader last year with Manchester.

“It’s fun just being back home,” Chavez said. “It’s always better being in front of the home crowd and not at a neutral site.”

Head out to Goodrich Ballpark tomorrow at 1 p.m. to support the team.