Wabash Baseball Splits Rare Monday Doubleheader

By Patrick McAuley | Sports Editor- Today Wabash split a doubleheader versus Rhodes College in a rare Monday matchup. The opening game started with Wabash at bat, but quickly lead to the bottom of the 1st after Rhodes put together a few nice plays and a strikeout. Wabash bounced back quickly with three catches in the outfield. The game staggered along for a few innings as both teams were playing strong defense. In the bottom of the 4th, Rhodes flied out with an RBI to put the first run on the board; Rhodes scored again in the 5th. Wabash, nonetheless, Always Fights! Cameron Martin ‘21 singled a line drive to center field, therefore allowing Jackson Blevins ’20 home in the top of the 6th. Erich Lange ’19 bounced back in the next at bat with a hit to right center, which allowed Andrew Jumonville ‘20 to score. Jared Wolfe ’19 also sacrificed to get an RBI in the 6th. This put the score at 4-2, Bash in the lead. Rhodes continued to struggle at bat and Wabash gained three more runs in the 7th and 9th innings. The final score was 7-3, Wabash.

The second game was a different story, however, Wabash continued with a strong start in getting the first run of the game. Austin Simmer ‘22 walked with bases loaded to advance Andrew Jumonville ‘21 home after he hit a single earlier in the inning. Rhodes quickly bounced back with two runs in the 2nd, but Bash caught up in the top of the 4th with another run to tie the score at 2-2. Nonetheless, Rhodes answered with two more runs in the bottom of the sixth and Bash could not answer. The final score was 2-4, Rhodes.

Kase Lawson ‘21 struck out nine batters in the first game during the first five innings. Closer Zachary Moffett ’20 stepped up to shut out the Lynx in the final two innings. Matthew Annee ’21 had three of Bash’s overall 12 hits in the opener.

Wabash will play Aurora University in Tucson, AZ next Sunday.