Wrestling Advances Six to Nationals

Blake Largent| Staff Writer- The Wabash wrestling team will advance six wrestlers to the Division III Wrestling Championships after six of the 10 total Little Giant wrestlers grabbed top-three finishes in their respective weight classes.

The six wrestlers advancing include Carlos Champagne ’22 of the 125-pound weight class, Owen Doster ’20 of the 133-pound weight class, Jared Timberman ’21 of the 157-pound weight class, Kyle Hatch ’21 of the 165-pound weight class, Darden Schurg ’19 of the 174-pound weight class and Wade Ripple ’21 of the 285-pound weight class. Wabash’s non-advancing wrestlers include Riley Lomenick ’21, Griffin Schermer ’19, Ethan Herrin ’20 and Levi Miller ’22, who all grabbed top-eight finishes in their respective weight classes.

In the 125-pound weight class, Champagne defeated John Carroll’s Andrew Perelka by decision in the third-place match to advance to nationals. In the 133-pound weight class, Doster advanced to nationals after winning by decision over Jackson Lakso of Otterbein in the third-place match. In the 141-pound weight class, Lomenick was defeated by decision in the third-place match by John Carroll’s Jarrod Brezovec and finished fourth. In the 149-pound weight class, Schermer lost to John Carroll’s Jarrad Lasko by decision in the third-place match and finished fourth. In the 157-pound weight class, Timberman fell to Mount Union’s Antwon Pugh by decision and finished second, advancing to nationals. In the 165-pound weight class, Hatch claimed the weight-class championship and punched a ticket to nationals after defeating Anthony Arroyo of Baldwin Wallace by decision in the first-place match. In the 174-pound weight class, Schurg lost due to medical forfeit against Mount Union’s Jairod James in the first-place match and finished second to advance to nationals. In the 184-pound weight class, Herrin finished fifth after defeating Trine’s Luke Carver by decision in the fifth-place match. In the 197-pound weight class, Miller was defeated in the seventh-place match by decision to Gavin Dersh-Fisher

of CWRU and finished eighth. In the 285-pound weight class, Ripple was defeated by major decision in the first-place match to Drew Kasper of Otterbein and finished in second, advancing to nationals.

The Division III Wrestling Championships will take on March 8 and 9 at the Berglund Center in Roanoke, Virginia.