Lacrosse Ramps Up

BLAKE LARGENT ‘22 |STAFF WRITER • As the beginning of the season approaches for the Wabash lacrosse team, many new faces will be a part of the team this season. In addition to having eight freshmen on the roster, the team will be led by a newly selected head coach; Tim O’Shea.

“I’ve been here since August and it’s been great,” O’Shea said on his transition into Wabash. “Everybody in the athletic department has been great and really supportive of the program.”

O’Shea, who has coached at many high schools and colleges across the country, has taken over as head coach after the departure of former head coach Todd Richardson, who led the team to a 2-13 record last season. But, despite last season’s record, O’Shea spoke of the confidence he has in his team.

“The guys that we do have are really good men,” he said. “They’ve been working hard and learning new systems. I think we can have some success this year and maybe surprise a few teams that might not be expecting much from us.”

O’Shea also spoke on some of the expectations he has for the team this season.

“Our expectation is to get better every day,” he said. “That’s kind of what we’ve been preaching since day one, just constant improvement. Myself and (Assistant) Coach (Vincent) Culpepper try to model that. We try to get better every day as coaches and we’re asking the guys to do the same.”

While O’Shea expressed his confidence in his team, as well as their ability to improve each and every day, he also acknowledged the challenges accompanied with having a new head coach.

“We’re in the process of putting in new systems right now, so the biggest challenge is just getting the guys enough time to adjust to and understand what we want to do,”
he said. “I think a lot of what we’re doing, especially on the offensive side of the ball, is brand new to these guys compared to the last few years. So, it’s just making sure we take some extra time and go over those things.”

While speaking about beginning the season, O’Shea set the tone not only for the first game against Calvin College but for the rest of the season.

“I’ve been watching some tape on (Calvin) and some of our other opponents, and I feel like we can go out there and really compete with those guys,” he said. “I’m not guaranteeing we’re going to win that game or any game, but I think our guys our doing a really great job in practice of just competing. Win or lose, we’re going to go out there and work as hard as we can and compete as hard as we can each game.”

The team will open its season at home against Calvin College
on February 16 at 11 a.m. in the morning. Come out and support the LIttle Giants at Fischer Field. Let’s go Wabash! WAF!