Tennis Drops Opener to Auguastana

BRYCE BRIDGEWATER |EDITOR-IN-CHIEF • The Wabash College Tennis team returned to action last weekend after a short fall season. Wabash graduated four seniors from the seven man squad in 2018, including All- American William Reifeis ’18. Wabash reloaded by recruiting six freshmen to join the fledgling program. With the new mem- bers, including three walk-on seniors, the team is to expect some growing pains.

Last Saturday proved that, with Wabash dropping the match to Augustana College, 1-8. All-American Patrick McAuley ’20 was the lone winner after taking the third set into double-digit games. Jordan Greenwell ’19 lost a third game match, and the doubles pair of Andrew Denning ’20/Duncan Roy ’19 lost in the tiebreaker at #2 doubles.

After last year’s run, McAuley will look to lead the squad in both #1 singles and #1 doubles. Despite Reifies graduating, McAuley still has high expectations for himself and the team this year.

“We are a really solid team this year from top to bottom,” said McAuley,” We

also have more senior leadership with the addition of Duncan Roy ‘19 and Evan Frank ‘19. We’re going to have a blast out there.”

Nieshal (Mylo) Thambipillay ’22 played in the #3 doubles match and the #5 singles match. Living in Malaysia, Mylo’s first match was a definite adjustment.

“I played pretty well for doubles, but not so much for singles,” Mylo said. “I’m really happy with doubles, but I know what I have to work out for singles this week.”

Despite the large number of new players in the program, Mylo doesn’t see this year as a rebuilding year. The team is ready to compete and keep the precedent of excellence continuing onto this year.

“We will go out there and compete,” Mylo said. “We don’t really think that this is a setup year. It’s a year to play our heart out and get some experience.”

Wabash will look to rebound tomorrow at Kalamazoo College before returning home to play Case Western Reserve University and Earlham College on February 9.