TEDx Returns for Third Year

CLAYTON HUBER ’21 | STAFF WRITER • TEDxWabashCollege
is back for another round here on campus! This year will mark the 3rd annual event. In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TED Talk videos and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection about the ideas of the day. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. In this case, the organizing team for TEDxWabashCollege is made up of students. The TED Conference pro- vides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are fully thought out and planned
by the organizing team. Since 2017, TEDx has been a significant part of the culture of student life at Wabash College.

This year Sam Stewart ’19 and David Riggs ’20, Co-Organizers, are running the show. When speaking to Stewart about this year’s event, he had strong feelings about his past experiences. “I have learned that one of the most exciting and terrifying parts of organizing an event like TEDxWabashCollege is failing,” Stewart said. “You have to fail at
each little planning step at least 100 times before you finally get the ‘right’ design. We are constantly trying to learn from our team members, our fellow students, the administration of Wabash College, and most importantly the broader community who attends our event. We are excited to show- case new ideas and new revelations in our 3rd annual TEDxWabashCollege Event.” Riggs has been a part of TEDxWabashCollege since 2018. When asked about his thoughts, he said that “TEDxWabashCollege is one of the most exciting and fulfilling things I’ve ever done because of one simple reason – it’s a special chance for me to give back to the Wabash Community. The hours of work that myself and other team members have put in this past year is worth it when our attendees tell us how much fun the event was, and how they’ve already marked the date on their cal- endar for the following year.”

The team this year has also created a new pre-event activity: a scavenger hunt to find a red “X” on campus, to create excitement around the event itself. The winners of the lottery participants can win prizes that are worth $200. “I have gotten so much positive feedback from a number of participants for Find the X,” Riggs said. “Students seem to be enjoying Find the ‘X’ and we are glad we can catch the interest of the student body.” With this hype from the stu- dent body, TEDx has also received many volunteers this year. “With this year’s freshmen class along with interest from our last event, we have many people interested in TED, TEDx, and learning more about the event itself.” Riggs said.

TEDxWabashCollege seems to be attracting a lot of attention to itself with its success from last year and the scavenger hunt this year. The event will take place from 3:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb 2, in Ball Theatre. They have speakers visit- ing from San Francisco all the way to Boston – all ready to share their own ideas to the Wabash College audi- ence. If you are interested in coming to the event this year but have not purchased your tickets, do so now. The tickets are selling fast (and may even be sold out while you’re read- ing). You can purchase your tickets on their website, tedxwabashcollege. com.