Basketball Best Team Since ’82

CLARK TINDER ’20 | STAFF WRITER • The Little Giant Basketball program has been building for a season like this. Slowly but surely Coach Kyle Brummet and his staff have assembled a group of Wabash
Men who are ready to compete for an NCAC championship. Currently sitting at 17-2 and tied atop the NCAC standings, the Little Giants are gearing up to finish this season strong. The real story is how they got here. This season has been far from as clean as their record shows. There have been injuries, sickness, and several teachable moments, but despite everything this team has stuck together.

One of the biggest learning moments of this season came in Springfield, Ohio just days after Christmas. The Little Giants had been rolling. A last-second win against the College of Wooster and then winning three games in a row by an average of roughly 28 points set the team in high spirits. The players were feeling good and enjoyed a much-deserved break. Then came a scrappy Wilmington College team. The game was a battle the whole way. Jack Davidson ‘21 led the Little Giants with 36 points, but in the end, Wilmington was able to come away with the upset. Undefeated no more. It was now time to learn how to respond to a loss. The Little Giants would go on to win seven straight games and continue to assert themselves as the team to beat in the conference.

A player that has asserted himself over this stretch has been center Harrison Hallstrom ‘20. Currently, Hallstrom is the leading rebounder and second-leading scorer on the Little Giants. He has been dominant on the boards and understands it is part of his role on this team to crash the glass as much as possible. Hallstrom wants to do whatever he can to help this team win whether that is rebounding or scoring in the post.

The leading scorer for the Little Giants is Davidson. Averaging just a hair under 24 points per game, Davidson takes a lot of the responsibility on offense. This scoring is not forced. Davidson does not feel pressure to score as his coaches and teammates help him play his game. Davidson has had some impressive scoring outputs this year including setting a new career high in scoring at 43 points against Denison. Going into the season Davidson expected this success but he is not satisfied yet. For him, satisfaction will come with an NCAC championship and an NCAA tournament appearance.

A key to this season that has been different than years past has been the chemistry and energy. Both Hallstrom and Davidson noted that this team is deep and the bench is constantly engaged in games and practice. There have been different sparks all season whether it is Colten Garland ‘20 hitting a big three or Connor Rotterman ‘21 battling on the defensive end, this team is engaged. Every player has a role on this team and they know the better they do in their role the wins will keep coming.

The Little Giants must stay together to finish this season strong. The team just had their seven-game win streak snapped at the College of Wooster. The game started and Wabash quickly found themselves down 14 and trying to fight back. Wabash ended up losing 84-91 and are now in a tie for first place. The Little Giants have already positively responded to a loss this season once before but this response will define their season. With six games left and four on the road, the Little Giants will be all hands on deck to enter tournament play with the right taste in their mouth. The team will have back to back games this weekend at Allegheny and Hiram before going to DePauw on February 6th and then returning home on February 9th for a game against Kenyon College.