Little Giants; Big Strokes

JACKSON BLEVINS ‘20 | STAFF WRITER • The Little Giant Swimming
and Diving program was placed in the Top 25 nationally this week, coming
in at number 23 in the new College Swimming & Diving Coaches Association
of America (CSCAA) rankings. They are hosting a big meet this Saturday in Crawfordsville with Division II and Division III teams pouring in from all across the Midwest. Besides the host Little Giants, the male and female teams of
John Carroll University, Saginaw Valley State University, DePauw University, Davenport University, Centre College, Albion College, and Birmingham- Southern College will swim at the Crawfordsville High School Aquatic Center, while the divers will dive here at Wabash College. The event will run from Friday through Sunday with an expectation of competitive events all across the board.

Specifically, the Little Giants are hoping to continue to grow this weekend as the host team.

Diver Aaron Embree ’19 is hoping for continued success and is excited to be the host team this weekend. “In order to be successful this weekend, we need to remember the technique that we’ve been practicing,” Embree said. “It’s easy to let the nerves get to you when you’re up on the board in front of a lot of people, and as long as we rely on the technique we will dive fine. I love home meets because of the familiarity, as I’m used to the way the boards feel under my feet. I also rely on certain structures in the pool to know when to kick out of a dive. When you travel somewhere you have to find that spot in the short number of warmups that you have. It’s also not bad knowing you don’t have a long ride home after a meet.”

As for the swimmers, they head to Crawfordsville High School to compete,
and the Little Giant swimmers already have experience in this pool. “We have an advantage over the other teams this weekend as we have a short drive to the pool at Crawfordsville High School,” Sam Colaiacova ’19 said. “It’s a pool we have
a lot of experience swimming in, and we have had a couple practices and tune ups in this pool to get a feel for it. Up to this point I am very happy with the way we have competed in meets because we have shown we can fight and motivate each other while doing so. There will be good competition this weekend so we must remember we can only control what goes on in our lane and we must stay positive and cheer on our other teammates.”

Wabash competes in the Wabash College Invite this weekend.

Hunter Jones ’20 said. “The major advantage of hosting a meet like this is being able to sleep in our own beds each night and having a familiar place to relax between sessions. At our previous midseason meet, there were a lot of Division
I and Division II teams which made it difficult to qualify for the night swims. With fewer teams at this meet, we are going to have some really competitive races for all of the guys on our team. I am looking forward to seeing some really great matchups. I think we have the potential to throw up some really impressive swims and come out of the weekend with a number of individuals and relays among the top in the nation.”

The races will begin at 10:00 a.m. on Friday and will conclude on Sunday evening at 5:30 p.m.