Wallies “Bleed for the Bell”

CLAYTON HUBER ’21 | STAFF WRITER • It is that time of year again, Ladies and Gentlemen. Bleed for the Bell is happening this week on campus! Every year, Wabash College hosts a blood drive to restock supplies for the American Red Cross. In recent years, however, the event has been rebranded as Bleed for the Bell to create a competition between Wabash and the school down south. The primary organization that helps set up this event is the Sphinx Club. When speaking with the Sphinx

Club President, Sam Hayes ‘19, he was very aware and knowledgeable about the American Red Cross and the blood drive itself. “Its ultimate purpose is to raise a resource for people who find themselves in undesirable situations, such as those who need blood,” Hayes said. “We want to make sure that there is enough blood in the reserves
so that people can have access to it.” While asking Hayes about the college atmosphere surrounding the event, he produced an optimistic response. “We are on a College campus, there are a lot of people who are willing to donate their blood to save others,” Hayes said. “So, making sure that Wabash students have an opportunity to help those
in need is the main factor behind the idea of hosting a blood drive on campus.” Discussing the goal of the blood drive was a topic Hayes was very optimistic to share with The Bachelor. “I definitely think that the Student Body is capable

of shattering the amount of blood we have ever raised,” Hayes said. “We are a strong group of students and Wabash is a great place that brings in the best guys. I have no doubts in my mind that we can raise, one, more blood than DePauw and two, as much as blood as we can.” Talking about the Blood Drive itself and how it is marketed, Hayes had strong words to describe the goal. “Ultimately, this event is marketed as a competition between us and DePauw,” Hayes said. “It is called Bleed for the Bell for a reason. But
at the end of the day, both schools are working towards the same goal of increasing the reserves of different types of blood.” Bleed for the Bell is an event where the students of Wabash College can contribute back to the community and help save lives. Bleed for the Bell participates in our Wabash motto. Wabash educates men to think critically, act responsibly, lead effectively, and live humanely. We live in a society that thrives on giving the gift of service to others.