New Season Strong Start

SAM PIPIRAS ‘22 | STAFF WRITER • Wrestling Head Coach Brian Anderson was pleased with the results of the Adrian College Invitational this past weekend and was happy to see the freshmen show their ability out there on the mat. The Little Giants took first place out of 12 teams at Adrian. Anderson has the same expectations every year. “We want our guys living a championship lifestyle,” said Anderson. Anderson gives his wrestlers the instructions to win the national title everyone desires, but to achieve this, the team must improve every day and have fun while doing it.

This year’s practices have been extremely competitive. The team practices Monday through Friday, with a few practices and workouts on the weekend to keep them fresh on their feet. They practice drills that enhance footwork, speed, strength, and hand-eye coordination. It all showed in the invite.

Darden Schurg ‘19 stood out this weekend, winning the Michigan State Open wrestling at the 174 lbs weight class. He took down the 2018 Division III National Champion and a few D1 starters on his way to the top. Timberman went 4-0 in the season opener at the Adrian College Invitational. Timberman won the 165 lbs weight class individual tournament. Timberman’s key to success is putting in hard work and pushing himself in every aspect of life. He does everything he can to put himself and his team in the best position possible. Max Bishop ‘21 wrestled at Heavyweight and destroyed his last opponent 9-1 in his final match. The freshmen did an excellent job on Saturday proving what they have out on the mat in their first college tournament. Kody Wagner ‘22 is a 149 pounder and beat some nationally ranked guys showing his strength and potential. Wagner finished 3rd place in his first career tournament. Amberger, wrestling at 197 this year, said “This year we’re opposed to have the best year in Wabash history ever.”

With a great start of the season across the board, it brings great promise to the future of the Wabash wrestling team. Beating Mount Union, a top tier team in the region, really shows what the team is all about. This success shows the team is doing the right things and Coach Anderson along with his staff are doing what they can to put their guys in the right position for success.

In year’s past, the Wabash Wrestling team dominated teams in their early season meets. In the Adrian College Invite last fall, Wabash walked away with a first place win out of nine other competing teams. Twenty seven wrestlers placed in the top eight in each of their weight classes. This year, the team continued the streak of a strong opening.

Timberman and Amberger would like to congratulate all the freshman saying they did a great job and really exceeded their expectations this early in the season. It took a team effort to compete at a high level this early in the season. The wrestlers have put a lot of hard work leading up to the season and it was great to see it pay off. Wrestling is matching up against Manchester University this Friday at Manchester. Head out there in support of your little giants as they give a beat down to the Spartans. The meet starts at 7 p.m