Jake Page ’21 Profile

ERIC CHAVEZ | STAFF WRITER • Jacob Page ’21 is a sophomore from Lafayette, Indiana
who attended Lafayette Central Catholic High School. At Wabash, he planned on studying Economics while also playing safety for the football team. He is a part of a long line of Pages that have attended Wabash that include two brothers that are here now. Although his family has a history of graduating from Wabash, he said there was no pressure to attend. “My dad was the only one out of all my uncles and his family not to go to Wabash,” Page said. “He went to Purdue and so there was no pressure at all and it was completely my decision. I’m just really glad I’m here.”

After not playing a single play his freshman year, Page has found his niche as a safety on

the football field. A few weeks ago, with a share of the conference championship on the line, he recorded two interceptions and nine tackles to lead Wabash to an overtime victory against a previously top ten ranked Wittenberg University. When asked about this performance Page said, “I didn’t even really pay attention to whatever personal things I did. I was just so happy that we got the win the way we did.”

The humble Page also gave his defensive teammates praise. “Our whole defense really stepped up that day,” Page said. “We had a great game plan and we knew that if we stuck to it, and made plays when they needed to be made, we could get a win and that’s all that we were focused on.”

His outstanding performance was recognized around the conference and the nation. Page was named the NCAC Defensive Player of the Week while also being named to the D3 football Team of the Week. “It was very humbling,” Page said when asked what it was like to be given these awards. “It is nice to see the hard work paying off.” Page again showed his humility when he admitted that his teammates knew about the awards before he did. “It’s funny, I actually found out because someone on my team just congratulated me and I really wasn’t sure what he was talking about. I was just glad we got the win that week.”Page said. Page and the rest of the Wabash defense

looked strong again against Allegheny College last Saturday, holding the gators to 17 points over four quarters. “Our coaches and captains did a really good job of realizing that that was the biggest game of the year,” Page said. “Once we lost to Denison, we had to treat every game as a conference championship because if we lose, our hopes of a conference championship are gone.” This mentality showed as the Little Giants beat Allegheny 54-17.

With his biggest game still to be played, Page said he is looking forward to playing in the Bell Game for the first time. “It’s exciting,” Page said. “It’s easy to get over-excited now but I know I have to be patient. I know that last year for Bell I was the most excited I’d ever been for a football game and I knew I wasn’t going to get in. This year I just have to stay focused on the task at hand.”

If Wabash maintains its possession of the Bell, Wabash will hold a share of the Conference Championship and Page says it’s the perfect way to wrap up the regular season with this particular group of guys. “We’ve got a really good group of seniors and I think it’s only right that we send them off with a win.” Watch Page play in the big game this weekend.