Justin Waller ’22 Q+A

DAVIS LAMM ‘20 | STAFF WRITER • A tenacious swimmer with excellent taste in bathing suits, this week’s Q&A is with a true star. Justin Wallar ’22 has established his reputation early at Wabash. At the 2018 Indiana Swimming and Diving Intercollegiates, he won the 200 freestyle after being passed by DePauw for 25 yards, then powering to victory. A member of the victorious 200 medley relay team and swimming the fastest split at the 400 relay, Wallar is eager to conquer the hydrophobic Tigers this Friday in his home waters.

wallerc+m

Waller ’22 (Courtesy of Wabash Communications)

WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR GREATEST ATHLETIC ACHIEVEMENT?

Getting to swim at the college level. Being able to come in with a fast team at a school that has a great reputation for academics.

HOW DID YOU GET TO WABASH?

Coach [Brent] Noble recruited me and a lot of the swimmers pushed me to come here. Without those guys, I wouldn’t be here.

WHAT HAS MADE YOU STAY AT WABASH?

I could have gone to some D1 schools, but this place felt like a family and a home. That’s very calming compared to big schools.

HOW DO YOU PREGAME FOR MEETS?

Yesterday, I went to Walmart and bought $25 worth of Halloween candy and cookies. I’ll be eating a ton of that soon. Then, a bunch of carbs before the meet. I always listen to some hardcore music by Lil Toenail. I always listen to the same three songs before a race to get me really pumped up. Then, I listen to some slow songs to get the focus in. I like to walk around, get loose, and think about every stroke I’ll make.

HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR STEAK COOKED?

Medium rare. Nice, juicy, and bloody. Always freaks out the girlfriend.

WHAT MOTIVATES YOU DURING RACES?

Getting to the wall first. I hate seeing people pass me up, can’t stand it.

HOW MANY KIDS DO YOU WANT?

Three to five. I want at least one girl.

CAN YOU HEAR CHEERING WHILE YOU’RE SWIMMING?

I can definitely hear the roar of the crowd. A lot of times, I’ll be extremely focused and only worried about the guy next to me, but I always have to listen to the crowd to keep motivated.

DESCRIBE THE BEST BATHING SUIT YOU’VE OWNED.

A light blue speedo with green zebra stripes. It was just small enough to show enough, but not too tight. I just had to get rid of it because of wardrobe malfunctions during jumps and lunges.

WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN NOT STUDYING AND SWIMMING?

I sleep a ton. Other than that, video games and Frisbee.

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST CHALLENGE FACING THE SWIM TEAM?

Getting students to swim meets. It always helps to see a crowded natatorium.

WHERE IS THE MOST EXOTIC PLACE YOU’VE SWUM?

I once fell into a giant fish tank during a behind the scenes tour at an aquarium.

WHAT SEA CREATURE DO YOU IMITATE WHEN SWIMMING?

Sea otter. They have great hair.

WHERE WILL YOU BE WORKING IN 10 YEARS?

For an international engineering firm that works with third world countries to build infrastructure like clean water systems. I’m studying pre-engineering and hope to become a civil engineer.

Check out Justin at the next home swim meet this evening as the Little Giants face DePauw University at 6 p.m.