Wabash downs Wittenberg, sets sights on Allegheny

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

By Ian Ward ’19 Online/ Photo Editor| On Saturday, #11 ranked Wittenberg played host to the Little Giant football team on a cold and wet afternoon. From the outset, it was a close game where Wittenberg came in undefeated, with Wabash (8-1) losing to Denison two weeks ago. However, on Saturday,Wabash brought their A game and capitalized on mistakes from the Tigers, ultimately coming out on top, 28-21 after one overtime.
Wittenberg struck first in the second quarter after a back and forth opening 15 minutes. It would be the only lead for the remainder of the day for the Tigers. Opening scoring for the Little Gants was senior Oliver Page ’19 who caught an 11-yard pass from Quarterback Jake Reid ’21 halfway through the second quarter. Just before halftime, a one yard carry by Isaac Avant ’20 grew Wabash’s score to 14, leading at the half, 14-7.
In the second half, Wittenberg came out strong; however, Wabash continued to lead going onto the fourth quarter that was a thriller to say the least. Wittenberg scored first in the final period of regulation ball, however with just 84 seconds remaining Wabash retook the lead with the second touchdown reception of the day for Page. However, 84 seconds is a long time and with 2 seconds remaining, Wittenberg scored a touchdown and tied the game with the extra point with no remaining time on the clock.
In overtime, Wabash simply took care of business; Avant scored his second touchdown on the day just three plays into overtime, followed by a game ending interception by Jake Page ’21.

With this upset victory, Wabash moves to 8-1 on the year. Be sure to check out this week’s The Bachelor for full coverage of this game, and a preview of another test as Wabash faces Allegheny next Saturday.