Swimming Competes @ Indiana D3 Swimming Championships

JACOB CHRISMAN ‘20 | STAFF WRITER • This past Saturday, the Little Giant swimming
team hosted the NCAA Division III Swimming and Diving Championships in the Class of 1950 Natatorium. Finishing second out of seven teams, the Little Giants claimed nine individual titles. “The team performed extremely well this weekend, we all dropped time from the Purdue meet last week and swam some events for the first time this year,” Samuel Colaiacova ’19 said. “What made me the happiest occurred outside the pool. We were all there for each other and helped each other get through the meet.”

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Contributing significantly to the team victory was Aaron Embree ’19, Ben Klimczak ’21, Hunter Jones ’20, Jan Dziadek ’21, and Justin Wallar ’22. The team of Klimczak, Jones, Dziadek, and Wallar took home the title in the 200 medley relay. Dziadek and Klimczak held the two top spots in the 100 back- stroke, with Dziadek placing first and Klimczak coming in second by a fraction of a second. Justin Dusza ’22 placed fourth in the event. Klimczak took 200 back- stroke title, while Dusza placed fourth again, several seconds behind Klimczak. Dziadek won another title in the 100 butterfly, well ahead of the rest of the field with a time of 52.12 seconds. Jones claimed the top spot on the podi- um in the 100 breaststroke, while Daren Glore ’22 scored for the Little Giants placing third in the event. Jones and Glore also pulled off a second-third finish in the 200 breaststroke, scoring for the Little Giants. Impressively, a young Little Giant, Zachary Colpaert ’22, edged an incredibly competitive field in the 50 freestyle, defeating Rose-Hulman’s Kipp by the tips of his fingers to claim a first place finish in the meet.

Embree laid claim to two titles diving for the Little Giants. He made easy work of the field in the 1-meter dive scoring 273.80 points. “I dove pretty well. I took first on both boards and made one of my Zone cuts, beginning the road to Nationals,” Embree said. “The first meet usually has some good and bad dives because there has not been enough time to build the confidence you need to throw it well. That’s how it went for me, some good and bad dives, but overall I am pretty happy with my performance.” Embree also pulled off a victory in the 3-meter dive with a score of 289.15.

The Wabash Swimming and Diving team returns to action on November 2 here at Wabash in the Class of 1950 Natatorium to take on the first place finishers, DePauw, in what will shape up to be an intense meet. “To beat DePauw, everyone has to do to their part; coaches, fans, and ath- letes. In a swim meet, every point counts,” said Colaiacova. “This week, they beat us because they had a deeper team than us but we had more top place finishes than them, so everyone has to do their part and getting a win against them will be no sweat. We also need to maintain our identity, we like to have fun and get rowdy at swim meets. We provide energy and enthusiasm for each other. Right now our mindset is to train harder than anybody else in the country and we know we’re training harder than them.”

Swimmers will hit the cold water at 6 p.m.