Q & A Chad Wunderlich

SAM PIPIRAS ‘22 | STAFF WRITER • The Iron man in goal, Chad Wunderlich ’21 sat down with us to discuss his soccer life and life away from the pitch. Wunderlich broke the school record in shutouts after holding DePauw to no goals on Tuesday, his tenth shutout this year.

wunderlich(Ward).jpg

Wunderlich ’20 boots the ball downfield earlier this season. (Photo by Ian Ward ’19)

HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN PLAYING SOCCER? 

I have been playing soccer my whole life or as long as I can remember.

WHY DO YOU PLAY SOCCER?

I love being part of a team. It stands for something bigger than myself. I love the sport and it is a lot of fun.

WHEN DID YOU START PLAYING GOALIE?

I started in 2nd and 3rd grade and I have been playing ever since.

WHAT EFFECT HAS SOCCER HAD ON YOUR LIFE?

Most recently, soccer was one of the deciding factors in to why I came to Wabash.

HOW DO YOU FEEL THE SEASON HAS GONE SO FAR?

We have been pretty good this year we had a good start of the season. We have been getting a lot of wins. The past couple games have been tough we have recently started to play a better team, and we have just been a little off as a team. We just need to come together as a team and play as one during the rest of the 2018 season.

WHAT ARE YOUR HOPES FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON?

It is not a hope it is an expectation for us to get into the conference tournament, we are striving as a team to make it the finals and from then a national tournament.

WHAT GOT YOU INTO PLAYING SOCCER?

My parents signed me up to play soccer when I was very young, and I guess at some point I realized that I love soccer wanted to keep playing.

WHAT DO PLAN ON DOING AFTER SCHOOL AT WABASH?

I plan on going to grad school for engineering, most likely through the dual-degree program. I’m not yet sure what specific type of engineering.

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE FROM HIGH SCHOOL TO COLLEGE?

The biggest difference is the workload. I got decent grades in high school, but I sometimes slacked off. At Wabash, you can’t afford to skip class, sleep in class, or not do a homework assignment. That and the expectations to speak and act as an adult and to effectively manage my time.

HOW DID IT FEEL AFTER BEATING THE TEAM DOWN SOUTH?

It was awesome to take part in such a great rivalry, especially because I didn’t play in that game last year. But looking at the bigger picture, we have higher expectations than to win that one game. It wasn’t any more important than our other conference games.

IF YOU COULD PLAY ANY OTHER POSITION IN SOCCER WHAT WOULD IT BE?

I think it would be fun to play as a target forward or winger.

WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE FOOD?

Favorite food is any kind of barbecue.