Basketball Season to Start

CLARK TINDER ‘20 | STAFF WRITER • The Little Giants Basketball team is back in the gym as the 2018-2019 season is officially underway. After last years up and down season, the Little Giants are hoping to become a contender in the NCAC. This years basketball team returns all starters from last year, and the freshmen class that should help right away. Head Coach Kyle Brumett sees the athletic success around Wabash and wants the basketball team to be one of the top programs on our campus. This is what he has been trying to build and he believes that this team is close to taking a big step this season. A reason Brumett believes this is because this team has more experience than prior teams.

The weight of the leadership for this team falls on Logan White ’19 and Ben Stachowski ’19. Being apart of Brumett’s first recruiting class, there is a sense of pride and unfinished business for these two. Although they are starting to feel a little older and a little more sore after practice, these two can feel the energy in the gym. “I want to be known for outworking people and being the best teammate,” White said when asked about about leaving an impact on the program. “If I show the younger guys how to be a good teammate and be a hard worker, that is what is important to me.” For Stachowski, it is all about staying healthy this season. He wants to be an example for this team that adversity is just part of sports. Stachowski wants to end his career healthy and competing for the NCAC title.

A highlight of last season was the play of Jack Davidson ’21 who was awarded NCAC new comer of the year, scoring 18.2 points per game. Last season’s success has motivated Davidson to improve his game, as he spent a lot of time this summer in the gym. He has a razor sharp focus for his sophomore season, when asked what motivates him the most it was a quick and simple answer, “Winning.” The Little Giants struggled to finish games last year, and this is something that Davidson knows that this year’s team can do better. With more experience, not only for himself but the players around him, Davidson expects more of the close games that the Little Giants have this year to go our way.

If you want to know how excited Brumett is about this season, just ask him what player he is excited to see play this year. He slowly names the entire roster. Brumett can not wait to see a healthy Stachowski. Center Harry Hallstrom ’20 ended last season very strong, and Brumett believes he can pick up right where he left off and be a dominant force in the post. Brumett is also excited to see Connor Rotterman ’21 take a big step as a sophomore much like Alex Eberhard ’20 did last year. Conner Brens ’21 and Parker Manges ’21 will continue to improve as they see more action. Then add in freshmen like Tyler Watson ’22 and Kellen Schreiber ’22, this team is very deep and will continue to grow together everyday.

This team ends each practice by saying “Together.” A simple word, but it means a lot to this team. Not only do they want to be together as teammates on the court, but they understand that this campus strives to be together in everything. This was on full display as they took practice off to support the soccer team last Tuesday for their match against DePauw. They hope the student body will be together with them this season and continue to make Chadwick Court a very difficult place to play. Brumett knows that teams do not like to play here and he appreciates all the support the student’s give to

the program. Your first chance to catch a glimpse of this team will be Sunday, October 28 at 4 p.m. in Chadwick Court for the Red and White scrimmage. The home opener for the Little Giants is November 20 at 7 p.m. when they face Boyce.