Don’t Stop Believing

Bryce Bridgewater ’19|Editor in Chief

The Wabash College baseball was one game after from breaking the school record in wins after sweeping the Hiram College Terriers on April 28. They had a golden opportunity to beat the record and secure an NCAC tournament berth, seeking their second tournament win and first since 2011. However, their seven-game winning streak turned into a six-game losing streak, dropping series against Denison University, DePauw University, and Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology. Suddenly, a tournament berth seemed bleak, and the record went into history. But, Wabash Always Fights.

After earning the third seed in the tournament, the team showed they earned their bid. The team defeated #24 Denison on Thursday, 4-2. The team jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead after RBIs by Eric Chavez ’19 and Andrew Jumonville ’21. Denison tied the game in the fifth, but the team iced the game after Bryce Aldridge ’19 hit a 2 RBI single to right field in the seventh. Zach Moffett ’20 closed out the game with the save after Bryan Roberts ’18 threw eight innings, conceding only one earned run. The team advanced to the winner’s bracket, facing the #2 ranked College of Wooster on Friday.

Wooster swept Wabash at home handily earlier in the season, 1-9 and 4-9. This time, Wabash came out fighting. They jumped to a quick 4-0 lead after RBIs by Sean Roginski ’19, Jackson Blevins ’20, and Matthew Annee ’21. This proved to be the deciding factor in the game. Wooster put up three runs, but Wabash responded by adding three runs of their own in the ninth with RBIs by Jared Wolfe ’19 and Aldridge. Moffett closed out the game again with the save after six strong innings from Cody Cochran ’18. This was the first win against Wooster since 2014 after a three-year losing streak totaling more than ten games against the Fighting Scots.

To win the tournament, Wabash needed to beat Wooster one more time on Saturday. Not only did the Little Giants beat Wooster, but the team also crushed the Ohio powerhouse, totaling 18 hits in the game. The onslaught started after taking a 7-0 lead in the second inning. Every time that Wooster started a rally, Wabash answered with an inning equal or greater to Wooster’s rally. After Wooster came close to Wabash in the seventh when the score was 13-8, Wabash answered with four runs of their own to ice the game. Wabash won their second ever NCAC tournament in the school’s history, 17-8. Aldridge won tournament MVP, going 7-13 while scoring four runs and two RBIs during the three-game tournament.

Despite this major accomplishment by the greatest baseball team in school history, this team is not done. The team earned an automatic bid to the 2018 NCAA Division III baseball tournament through this victory. The tournament starts on May 18, and the team will find out where they will be playing soon. Check wabashcollegebachelor.com for updates on their run through the tournament.