Tennis Dominates Wooster

JACKSON BLEVINS ‘20 | STAFF WRITER • The Little Giant tennis team (13-10, 2-2 NCAC West) finished their regular season off
on a high note by defeating the College of Wooster (8-11, 1-2
NCAC West) on Saturday by a final score of 8-1. The team dominated the Fighting Scots in singles play, going 6-0, while the only match the team dropped was at number two doubles after a tough game.

In singles play, William Reifeis ’18 won his number one singles match after his opponent retired before the match was finished. Patrick McAuley ’19 won a hard fought match at number two singles by a score of 7-5 (5), 7-6 (2). Jordan Greenwell ’19 made easy work of his opponent with a 6-2, 6-3 victory in straight-sets.

Kirill Ivashchenko ’18 endured a long match at number four singles to take the win 7-5, 5-7, 6-1. Nicholas Pollock ’18 went three sets but eventually got the victory in number five singles by a score of 6-4, 2-6, 6-3. George Go III ’18 made quick work in number six singles as he won 6-3, 6-2.

Reifeis and McAuley capped off their spectacular 23-0 season at number one doubles on Saturday, but it did not come easy. The tandem had to go to work in an extra game but ultimately came out with the victory 9-7. Pollock and Ivashchenko took home an 8-4 victory at number three doubles. The duo of Andrew Denning ’20 and Pollock dropped the lone match at number two doubles for the Little Giants by a score of 6-8.

“The team played pretty well this weekend at Wooster,” Pollock said. “We knew we were the better team heading in and we proved it. We dominated every singles spot and came away with the two doubles wins as well.”

Wabash will be the co-host of the North Coast Athletic Conference Men’s and Women’s Tennis Championships with our rivals down south, which will take place at the Barbara Wynn Tennis Center at North Central High School in Indianapolis. Look out for the Little Giants to make a run in the tournament that runs from

April 27-29. “As we head into the tournament, I am feeling confident in the way our team is playing,” Pollock said. “Our doubles are really starting to click and our singles game is picking up as well. Will and Patrick are one of the best doubles team in the nation,
as they have destroyed their opponents all season. I think the team feeds off that positive energy, and if we keep playing the way we have been, I can see our team making a run in the tournament.”

Also, McAuley won his third NCAC Playor of the Week due to his perfomance on the court. McAuley and his playing partner Reifeis looks to break the overall Wabash tennis record of 26 wins in a season set in 2009. Outside of doubles, McAuley is 16-7 in single’s matches this year after playing in the number two single match all season. Good luck to the Little Giant tennis team in NCAC tournament action!