Baseball Rocks On

JAKE CHRISMAN ‘20 | STAFF WRITER • After a slip up last week, the Little Giant baseball team (23-9, 8-4 NCAC) got back on a roll this past weekend, sweeping a double header at Oberlin College (9-21, 2-10 NCAC) and beating Manchester University (16-16, 6-6 HCAC) in 10 innings on Sunday. The team followed up the weekend sweep with a home week against Mount St. Joseph University (MSJ) (13- 17, 4-7 HCAC).

“We played really well this past weekend,” Bryce Aldridge ‘19 said. “We were able to bring everything together. Cody had a great weekend and hitters did their job.” After the extra innings win on Sunday the Little Giants improved to 22-9 on the year and 7-2 on the road.

In the first game on Saturday, Wabash exploded in the top of the second inning for five runs. Eric Chavez ’19, Tyler Downing ’18, and Jackson Blevins ’20 had RBIs in the onslaught. The Little Giants added to their lead in the fourth inning with a two RBI single off the bat of Aldridge. The Yeomen were able to rally for four runs in the fifth inning, but Wabash answered with back to back runs in the sixth and seventh innings on a RBI single by Aldridge and a wild pitch.

Oberlin added one in the seventh, but could not hold of the Little Giants who scored two more in the ninth on a two RBI double from Aldridge. In the 11-5 win, Bryan Roberts ’18 started on the mound. After a rough day, Roberts conceded four runs on six hits in the 4.1 innings that he threw. He gave way to Kevin O’Donnell ’18 and Eric Murphy ’20, who each threw an inning for the Little Giants. Zach Moffett ’20 finished the game, throwing 2.2 innings allowing only one hit and recording four strikeouts. Moffett was credited with the win to improve to 3-0 on the year.

The second game was all Wabash. The Little Giants got on the Yeomen early with two runs in the first on a single from Blevins and a wild pitch. Wabash added another in
the second on a RBI single from Henry Wannemuehler ’20. In the third inning, Aldridge single to score a run. Following that, Andrew Jumonville ’21 tripled, scoring Aldridge. Matthew Annee ’21 scored Jumonville on a sacrifice fly. Finally, Wannemuehler plated

another run to give the Little Giants a 7-0 lead. This improved to 10-0 in the fourth with RBIs from Aldridge, Chavez, and Wannemuehler. Downing plated the last run for

the Little Giants on a groundout that scored Jordan Hansen ’18. On the mound, Cody Cochran ’18 was lights out. In eight innings, Cochran allowed no runs on three hits,
while striking out eleven batters. He gave way to Eric Lange ’19 who closed out the 11-0 win or the Little Giants.

Back in Indiana on Sunday, the Little Giants took on the Spartans of Manchester. The Little Giants started off well with three runs in the third inning off the bats of Blevins, Aldridge, and Jumonville. The Spartans answered with one of their own, but Wabash was persistent and score four more in the fourth inning. Wannemuehler, Sean Roginski ’19, and Blevins had RBIs in the inning. After a silent fifth inning for the Little Giants, Manchester scored two to close the lead to four runs. Jared Wolfe ’19 plated a run in the seventh, but the Spartans copied that effort.

Manchester rallied in the eighth for four runs to tie the game at eight. After a silent ninth inning for both teams, Blevins gave the Little Giants the lead in the tenth with an RBI single. Jumonville added to the lead with a sacrifice fly scoring Roginski. Manchester rallied in the tenth, but came up short, losing to the Little Giants 10-9. On the mound, a legion of Little Giants threw. Tyler Cooper ’18 started and was followed by Murphy. Lange then stepped in for 1.1 innings. Billy Johnson ’21 came next and gave way to O’Donnell. Kase Lawson ’21 stepped for the ninth inning and earned his first collegiate win.

“Few things fell out of place, but we still played really well,” Aldridge said. “A lot of funky things happened, but great teams find a way to win. We let them come back, but put them down when we needed too.” Moffett closed the game and was credited with the save.

On Wednesday, the team cruised to a 10-1 victory over MSJ. Chavez and Wolfe lead the team, both getting two hits and having two RBIs each.

The Little Giants return to action on Saturday in Ohio to take on the Hiram College (4-21, 1-10 NCAC) Terriers in a double header. On Sunday, the Little Giants head down to Greencastle to take on DePauw University (6-21, 4-8 NCAC). “Were taking things one game at a time and just trying to focus on the next one,” Aldridge said. “We want to go 1-0 every day, because each game at this point matters.” Both double headers start at noon with game two to follow.