Lacrosse Season ends on Senior Day

ZACH MOFFETT ‘20 | STAFF WRITER • The Wabash lacrosse team (2-13, 0-8 NCAC) had a tough stretch of games throughout the last week, and they finished up their season this with a final home game against nationally ranked Denison University (13-3, 7-1 NCAC). Previously leading up to the game, the Little Giants played Oberlin College (8-7, 3-5 NCAC) and Wittenberg University (6-9, 4-4 NCAC) both on the road. Wabash lost to Oberlin 13-2 and lost to Wittenberg 21-4.

Saturday, the Little Giants first celebrated Senior Day with seniors Austin Crosley ’18, Ben Grier ’18, Adrian Tejeda ’18, and Dajon Thomas ’18. These seniors were the first four year players on the team. The seniors leave with a major impact on the program as Tejeda finished as the all-time groundball leader and Grier finished second all-time for caused turnovers. Thomas and Crosley are fourth and fifth in the all-time scoring leaders at Wabash.

In the first period of the game, Wabash fell behind quickly to the Big Red. Denison scored 12 goals in the first period and junior Collin Brennan ’19 added the only goal for the Little Giants in the first period, but it was his 25th on the season. Tucker Dixon ’19 helped the offense in the beginning of the second period as he scored his 30th goal of the season. Chase Cochran ’20 scored his first career goal for Wabash after picking up
a ground ball from the face off. Despite the efforts by the Little Giants, Denison added eight more goals in the second period of the game. The second half played out a little differently for the Little Giants as they kept in the game with Denison. The Little Giants held the Big Red to four goals in the second half, and they added one in the third period. Crosley added his final career goal along with Brennan adding his second goal of the game late. The Little Giants picked up 23 ground balls as Cochran led the team with eight during the game. Max Atkins had 13 saves on 37 shots on goal.

Dixon finished as the top goal scorer in the 2018 season with 30 goals. Brennan finished leading in points as he had 41 points on the year, playing in 13 of the 15 games. Cochran and Zach LaRue ’19 led the Wabash team in ground balls with a combined total of 127. After another hard fought season for the Little Giants, they look to another exciting year of growth and improvement in the 2019 season.