T&F Takes 2nd at DePauw invite

PATRICK MCAULEY ’19 | STAFF WRITER • This past weekend, the Wabash Track and Field Team competed at DePauw University in an event with seven other teams. The gentlemen placed second after winning five first place spots in different events. Earlier this week, Brady Gossett ‘19 was elected as the NCAC Track Runner of the Week.

The team’s accomplishments started without a big focus on DePauw. The team has been focusing on developing a mindset that does not involve getting caught up in the rivalry. Coach Clyde Morgan believed this was essential to the team’s success this past weekend.

“We do not get caught up in that hype; we take everyone seriously,” Morgan said. “You know sometimes you can overdo that.” This mindset for the DePauw rivalry developed an even stronger brain power on the field down south.

Players embraced the cold weather. Morgan was hesitant on whether or not the meet was actually going to happen. “It was snowing with storms up until the night before the meet,” he said. On the day of the meet –which the weather did not trump –team members embraced what they did not realize was going to happen the day before. Runners and other Wabash

athletes were on the field taking on the cold weather with strong hearts. (They could have been inside warming up
in the heat). They were not distracted, and this showed in the overall team performance.
In a pair of four, Gossett, Josh Wiggins ’21, Leon Ivy ’21, and Anthony McGinnis ’21 won the 4×100 meter race with a strong time of 43.46. In the javelin throw, Hunter Baehl ’18 posted his best distance of 49.46 meters to earn him a second-place finish. Gossett, the big figure of the weekend, won two races in the 100-meter dash and the 200-meter dash. Morgan reminisced on the awesomeness of player improvement.

Improvement sparks a coach’s drive to make them even better. Gossett’s performance this past weekend really excited Morgan, further showing how coaching has affected athletes on the track field at Wabash College. Gossett’s double first place finishes showed Coach Morgan that his coaching efforts have been working, and even more so that his athletes have been taking them in. This next weekend, The Little Giants will head back down south to Greencastle for the Indiana Division III Championships. Go down and support the guys on Tiger turf!