Rugby Wins Big

AUSTIN RUDICEL ’20 | STAFF WRITER • The Wabash Rugby Club (12-1-1) competed in their final tournament of the regular season last Saturday at home. With two matches to close out the season, Wabash tied their first match against Bowling Green State University, 19-19. The team won their second match against Taylor University in a close game, ending 17-12. With this record, Wabash Rugby placed first in the Great Lakes Conference along with being NCAC champions.

Kasimir Koehring ‘18 is proud to see the development of a fully student ran club that formerly struggled with numbers into a conference-winning team. “All other teams in our conference have coaches, but here at Wabash, we have students that embrace leading the

team in both the coach and player role,” Koehring said. Koehring played rugby all four years at Wabash after quitting football his freshman year but still wanted to be involved in a competitive sport. He is thrilled that the team is performing the best he has seen in his time at Wabash and looks forward to the future of the sport.

“Right now, four of our seven starters are underclassmen,” Koehring said. “The youth of this club demonstrates the potential for growth and increase the competitiveness of rugby at Wabash. Following their victorious season, the Wabash Rugby Club is heading to Nashville, Tennessee on Saturday to compete in the national qualifying tournament hosted at Vanderbilt University.