Lacrosse Falls to a Hiram Comeback

ZACH MOFFETT ’20 | STAFF WRITER • The Wabash lacrosse team (2-10) came off a tough loss from at home against rival DePauw University, and they went into the next week facing conference opponents Hiram College (5-5) and Ohio Wesleyan University (11-2) (OWU). Wabash went into the week with a three game losing streak. They traveled up to Hiram on Saturday to play at 1:00 p.m. They also took on a nationally ranked OWU on Wednesday.

Wabash faced Hiram on Saturday. The Little Giants got off to a great start in the first half of the game. While the Little Giants did not strike first in the game, they responded quickly after the first goal by Hiram with four consecu- tive goals of their own from four differ- ent scorers. Tucker Dixon ’19, Austin Crosley ’18, AJ Shaheen ’21, and Collin Brennan ’19 each scored one of the four goals in the first period of the game. Hiram did put up two more goals in the final three minutes of the period.

In the second period, Wabash went on another offensive surge. Dixon went off in the second period with two goals alone. He led the Wabash offense with its five goal scoring charge. Brennan added two along with Shaheen scoring again to add to the Wabash lead 9-4. The Wabash defense held the Terriers to one goal in the second period. At the end of the half, Wabash led 9-4 over the Hiram Terriers.

Wabash went into the second half with a tough battle with Hiram through the third period. The Little Giants and the Terriers combined for a total of ten goals in the third period alone with each team scoring five goals. Dixon again led the Little Giants on the Wabash offen- sive end of the field with six goals and one assist. His offensive chances ended in the third period. Steven Stark ’19 added another goal to push the Wabash lead, but Hiram would push back as the ended the third at nine. Shaheen again added to the Wabash lead at the end of the third period making the score 14-9 before going into the forth.

The dreaded fourth snuck up on the Little Giants as they dropped the ball. Hiram started off the fourth with two goals to cut the Wabash lead to three goals, but Jake Taylor ’20 responded with his only two goals of the game soon after. Wabash maintained their five-goal lead through most of the fourth until Hiram went on a six goal rampage with 3:04 left in the game to claim the lead and the win for the Terriers. Hiram outshot Wabash 44-40. Max Atkins ’20 had 15 saves on the day for the Little Giants team. Chase

Cochran ’20 also led the Little Giants with six ground balls on Saturday. The final score of the game Wabash 16, Hiram 17.