Golf Drives it in with 3rd Place Finish

JACKSON BLEVINS ’20 | STAFF WRITER • The Little Giant golf team placed third at the Hanover Spring Invite this past weekend. Wabash was one of six teams who battled frost and frigid temperatures all weekend at Shadowood Golf Course in Seymour, Indiana. The team shot a 322 on the first day to put them in third place after Saturday’s golf. The team shot a 321 on Sunday to finish the invite with a total of 643 strokes. Franklin College took home the crown with a total of 617 strokes and Hanover finished second, just shy of Franklin with a total of 618 strokes.

Sam Wise ’21 tied for tenth out of 49 golfers with a final score of 156, shooting an 81 on Saturday and a 75 on Sunday. Ben Kiesel ’20 started the Invite with an 80 on Saturday and a 79 on Sunday, placing him in a tie for 13th place. Kyle Warbinton ’20 shot the lowest of the Little Giants on Saturday with a 78, and finished with an 83 on Sunday to finish tied for 19th. Will Osborn ’21 finished with a total score of 171, shooting an 83 on Saturday and 88 on Sunday. Devin Guard ’21 rounded out the team score for the Little Giants with a 90 on Saturday and 84 on Sunday. Justin Kopp ’21 also carded an individual score for Wabash as he finished with a two-day total of 167, shooting 84 on Saturday and 83 on Sunday.

While the Little Giants are still young and looking to gain experience, the team put forth a quality effort in the six-team tournament. Thanks to mother nature bringing snow in April, the team was unable to get outside during the week. “We didn’t play our best, but the conditions were pretty tough,” Wise said. “Trying to focus for five hours to put together a good round of golf is very difficult. That being said, we were third place as a team after the first day and that is really promising. If we can put ourselves in position like that when we’ve hardly gotten to practice outdoors, then I know we have a ton of potential as a team.”

“We knew the weather was not going to be great but it’s the same for everyone and we knew we just had to grind it out,” Kiesel said. “We had a tough weekend but
part of that is us having higher expectations for this season than we’ve had in the past. We are excited for the coming weeks to shoot some low scores.” The Little Giant golf team will be back in action on Saturday, facing Manchester in a match-play event.