Golf places 9th at Rose

TUCKER DIXON ‘19 | SPORTS EDITOR • The Wabash College golf team traveled to Terre Haute last weekend to compete in the 2018 Rose- Hulman Invitational. Wabash took the course at the Hulman Links Golf Club to take on 11 other teams during the two-day event.

Wabash finished with two-day total of 635 strokes to give the Little Giants the ninth place finish. Parkland University took home the first place finish in the team standings with a two- day total of 573. Parkland narrowly beat second-place Kalamazoo College who carded a final score of 578.

Kyle Warbington ‘20 led the Little Giants by shooting a 76 on Friday and a 79 in the final 18-hole round on Saturday for a total two-day stroke total of 155. Warbington tied for 32rd place in the individual standings.

Ben Kiesel ‘20 and Sam Wise ‘21 were not far behind Warbington. Kiesel finished just three strokes behind Warbington with a two-day total of 158 (77-81), landing him in 42nd place. Wise shot a 163 (81-82) to earn him the 54th place finish.

A trio of freshmen tied with a stroke total of 165 to land them in 60th place overall in the individual standings. Devin Guard ‘21 and Will Osborn ‘21 both shot an 80 on Friday and an 85 on Saturday, while their teammate, Justin Kopp ‘21, shot an 86 on Friday and a 79 on Saturday.

“I think that our team is headed in a good direction moving on from this weekend. For limited practice and the conditions being so poor, we played some respectable golf,” Warbington said. “I think the rest of the year is going to revolve around developing our young guys as they make up the majority of our lineup. We are pushing hard for a mid-conference finish, and with increased confidence and experience, we are going to make huge strides over the next year.”

The Little Giants will be on the road this weekend, traveling to Seymour
to compete in the Hanover College Invitational at the Shadowood Golf Course on Saturday and Sunday. Good luck, Wabash College golf team.