LACROSSE FALLS TO HOPE IN SPRING BLIZZARD

ZACH MOFFETT ‘20 | STAFF WRITER • Last Saturday, the Little Giants’ lacrosse team took on Hope College (5-1) at home in the spring blizzard that will be remembered for years. Most recently, Wabash took on first year program Earlham College last Tuesday. The Little Giants dominated that game as they went on to beat the Quakers 24-0 in their second win of the season. They did not play again until Saturday when they took on the Hope College at home. Due to the inclement weather, they had to shovel off the snow and clear the field just before the first faceoff. They also had to use an orange lacrosse ball so the ball would be easier to see.

At the hands of the blizzard, the Little Giants got off a rough start, turning the ball over often which led to Wabash falling behind 6-0 in the first period to the Flying Dutchmen. Wabash got this first score of the game during the second period from Andrew

Weiland ’19. This was Weiland’s first game of the season after he struggled with injuries. Weiland returned to the team after not being on the original roster at the beginning of the season. Weiland scored two goals in his first game back for the Little Giants. The Little Giants hung in with Hope in the second period as they held Hope to only one goal early in the quarter, but weren’t able to be any additional goals in themselves.

The Hope offense found their stride in the third period and exploded for eight unanswered goals. Jake Taylor ’20 scored the second goal for the Little Giants in the last minute of the third period.

“Saturday’s game was rough with the snow, but we are making strides to understand more of the game,” Taylor said. “I think it is a goal for the team to become more knowledgeable rather than focus on natural skill.”

The Little Giants made small strides Saturday despite their hard effort, only allowing one more goal in the fourth period to Hope. Wabash scored two more goals in the fourth from Weiland and Colin Brennan ’19. The final score of the contest was Wabash 4, Hope 16. This puts the Little Giants now at 2-6 on the season. Statistically on Saturday, the Little Giants failed to put together much of an offense as they managed to get just 14 shots off and had a total of 47 turnovers, granted the snow enhanced both teams turnovers on Saturday.

Max Atkins ’20 had 11 saves on the day and led the team with 11 ground balls. “We are definitely working hard to be a better team,” Atkins said. “We are a very young team with little experience on the lacrosse field and to say we compete with some of the teams we do is motivating because of the tough lacrosse conference we play in.”

The Little Giants surely are working hard to improve both on and off the field to establish the image and respect the program wants. The Little Giants travel away this weekend, taking on Calvin College Saturday at 1:00 p.m. The game will be shot live along with live statistical updates during the game. They follow the weekend game up with a mid-week contest against DePauw University on Tuesday at home. Be sure to come and support your Little Giants!