BASEBALL SWEEPS EDGEWOOD, DROPS GAME TO ROSE-HULMAN IN BUSY WEEK OF COMPETITION

JAKE CHRISMAN ‘20 | STAFF WRITER • This past week, the Little Giants took the field three separate times and went 2-1, 2-0 against Edgewood College and before dropping a game to Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology (RHIT) on Wednesday. Playing in Westfield, Indiana last Friday night, the Little Giants won game one 8-2 over Edgewood and took game two 14-2.

“I think we did really well this past weekend,” Ryan Thomas ’18 said. “Our hitting has been outstanding.”

In game one against the Eagles, the Little Giants started off slow, but they put two runs on the board in the fourth inning off the bats of Eric

Chavez ’19 and Henry Wannemuehler ’20. Wabash added on in the fifth with four more runs. Contributing to the rally was Matthew Annee ’21 and Andrew Jumonville ’21, both with RBIs. Six would be plenty for the Little Giants with Two-Time NCAC player of the Week Bryan Roberts ’18 on the mound. Roberts went seven full innings, allowing only two run and recording six strikeouts. Kevin O’Donnell ’19 finished the game on the mound with two innings and a pair of strikeouts. The Little Giants would tack on a run in the seventh and another in the eighth in the 8-2 game one win.

In game two, the Little Giants bats stayed hot. In the 14-2 victory, Wabash only recorded nine hits. Jackson Blevins ’20 and Bradon Nelson ‘21 recorded three RBIs. Canton Terry ’21 recorded a career high four RBIs in a Wabash uniform. Tyler Downing ’18 also recorded an RBI in the win. “You can’t really get through our lineup without facing an offensive threat,” Thomas said. “We are on fire right now.” On the mound, Cody Cochran ’18 went six innings, allowing only one run, and striking out eight batters. Sean Smith ’21 took over, but only went 2/3 of an inning before giving way to Eric Murphy ’20, who through 1 1/3 innings. Zach Moffett ’20 closed out the game for the Little Giants retiring the side and striking out two.

Despite the Little Giant hot streak, the team team dropped a tough game in the mist in Terre Haute against RHIT by a score of 6-5. The team could only scrape up four hits throughout the game. Sean Roginski ‘19 led the game with three RBIs. The team had a Johnny whole-staff game, with eight pitchers throwing in the game.

The Little Giants return to action tomorrow for their conference opening series against Allegheny College (5-10). “We are going to start seeing more competitive play,” Thomas said. “We know what our conference is and Allegheny has a couple .400 plus hitters. Games are going to become a battle, but we are ready to compete and answer that.” The games will be played at Goodrich Ballpark starting at noon, and the second one scheduled for 3 p.m. on Saturday.