WABASH FINISHES SEVENTH AT EARLY BIRD INVITE

PATRICK MCAULEY ‘19 | STAFF WRITER • The Wabash track and field team competed at Rose- Hulman Institute of Technology in the Early Bird Invitational this past weekend. The team scored 33 points, which placed them at seventh out of the ten competing teams. One silver lining to the meet was Ra’Shawn Jones ’20, who won NCAC Player of the Week after competing in hurdles. Jones is happy, but the future is more important. This past indoor season did not end how the young hurdler wanted, so he is looking forward to competing in this upcoming outdoor season.

“It’s not one of my main goals [to win the award],” Jones said. “But, it’s definitely an honor because I have been working hard.” In his second year as a runner for Wabash, Jones has already shown glimpses of greatness. This is the second time that he has earned this award in his Wabash career.

Only a select few participated in the event, but this did not stop the Little Giants from competing strongly. A massive aspect of the spring track season for all athletes is getting through the transition from outdoor to indoor. Elements such as cold weather and wind can change the setting of any track meet; therefore, it makes it tougher on the athletes to compete in those types of conditions. However, the Little Giants had a plan. Head Coach Clyde Morgan asked his players to treat the weekend as if it were a very serious

practice. This mindset, as relaxed as it may sound, actually can trick athletes into not overthinking the scenario. Instead, it allows them to relax, treat the competition like a practice, and adjust their brains to the outdoor setting. This keen strategy helped many members compete at high levels over the course of the weekend.

There were many top five finishes over the weekend. In the 4×400-meter relay, Tyler Ramsey ’21, Austin Ellingwood ’18, Parker Redelman ’18, and Brady Gossett ’19 took second place with a time of 3:23.67. Anthony Mcginnis ’21 and the rest of his small relay team placed fourth in the 4×400 with a time of 3:33.39. Josh Wiggins ’21 finished third in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 16.13. Finally, Jones clinched his award by placing first in the hurdles with a time of 15.64.

The team heads to St. Louis this weekend to compete against Washington University. Now that they have adapted to the weather, these Little Giants are looking good and ready for the 2018 outdoor season. Be sure to wish the team good luck when you see them on campus.