LACROSSE MOVES IN RIGHT DIRECTION WITH 24-0 WIN AT EARLHAM

ZACH MOFFETT ‘20 | STAFF WRITER • After a tough loss to Kenyon College two weeks ago, the Little Giants lacrosse team looked for redemption when they took on the College of Wooster (4-2) last Saturday. The Little Giants (1-4) went into the contest for their
third home game of the season. While Wabash wouldn’t find the redemption they sought against Wooster, falling to the Fighting Scots 15-5, they would have another chance against the Earlham College Quakers (0-5) on Tuesday.

The Little Giants took advantage of a young and inexperienced Earlham roster and claimed the second win of their season by a score of 24-0. Even though the Little Giants were off to rocky start to their season, the team played through adversity and
might have found the confidence they need to power through the middle part of their season and pull out some big wins against some strong competition.

Last Saturday, the Little Giants hosted the Fighting Scots of the College of Wooster. Wooster coming off a long spring break trip to Colorado showed moments of exhaustion against a hungry Little Giants team that was determined to make a statement against a strong conference opponent. The game started off close between the Little Giants and the Scots as the first period resulted in a Wabash one goal lead. After the Scots jumped out to an early 2-0 lead, Tucker Dixon ’19 scored an unassisted goal for the first tally for the Little Giants.

Wabash gave Wooster an early scare in the second period as Collin Brennan ’19 scored the tying goal to make it 2-2. The Scots responded with two three-goal runs in response to the early challenge the Little Giants put up. A Wabash goal by Austin Crosley ’18 separated the Wooster scoring runs. The Little Giants went into the halftime break down 8-3 after two quarters of aggressive and fast-paced play.

Wabash could not hold on for much longer as the depth in Wooster’s roster proved to be difficult to overcome for the short- staffed Little Giants. Wooster went on to score five more goals in the third period followed by goals from Brennan and Steven Stark ’19. The Scots created many offensive opportunities during the game, causing 10-28 of the Wabash turnovers and outshooting the Little Giants 60-20. During the fourth period, Wabash shut down offensively, but they also held the Scots to only one goal in the fourth period. The final score was Wooster 15, Wabash 5. Wabash traveled Tuesday evening to Earlham to take on another new lacrosse program in Indiana.

After a four-game losing streak, the Little Giants looked to redeem themselves against the Quakers. Wabash dominated the Quakers in all four periods, starting with nine goals in the first period. They followed up the active period with another offensive strike in the second period with six goals. The Wabash defense also held their end and completed the shutout as they did not allow a goal in the entire game.

The second half of the game was similar as the Little Giants continued to dominate, scoring three goals in the third and six in the final period. Dixon led the squad with seven goals and three assists on the day. Stark, Brennan, and Crosley each added four times a piece. The Wabash defense played aggressive and physical allowing the Quakers to take four shots and gathering 45 ground balls. “We’re learning our strengths as we play and were beginning to play our game as opposed to adapting to each team we play,” Chase Cochran ’20 said. The final score of the contest was Wabash 24, Earlham 0.

The Little Giants will take on Hope College on Saturday at home on Fischer Field in Mud Hollow Stadium. The game Saturday will be streamed live on the Wabash website, and the game will start
at 1:00 p.m.