spring break sports roundup

Tennis goes 3-2 over Break

TUCKER DIXON ‘19 | SPORTS EDITOR • The Little Giant tennis team traveled to Florida over spring break to train and compete in a total of four matches. Wabash returned home after a 3-2 showing against some strong competition.

In the team’s first match against Clark University, every player controlled their matches from start to finish and the Little Giants won 9-0.

Wabash next competed against its strongest opponent of the trip, 36th-ranked Coe College. The duo of William Reifeis ’18 and Patrick McAuley ’19 won their doubles match against Nate Ackert and Brady Anderson.

Next, the Little Giants moved onto Carthage College and Olgethorpe University. The Wabash tennis team was able to claim both matches by scores of 7-2 and 5-4 respectively.

The duo of Reifeis and McAuley continued their undeafeated season with wins against both Carthage and Oglethorpe.

Against Olgethorpe, number three doubles, George Go ’18 and Nick Pollack ’18 added a victory over their opponents by a score of 9-7.

In the team’s final match against Rhodes College, Wabash was only to gain one team pont from Reifeis and McAuley in an 8-1 loss.

Wabash is on the road this weekend playing two matches in Whitewater, Wisconsin.

Lacrosse Stumbles over Break

TUCKER DIXON ‘19 | SPORTS EDITOR • The Wabash College lacrosse team made a trip south for spring break to compete against two out of conference opponents.

The team began their trip by competing against Piedmont College in Demorest, Georgia. While the game was close for much of the game, the Little Giants were not able to close the gap and claim the victory. Offensive and transition struggles proved to be the main determining factor in both of Wabash’s losses over break. Collin Brennan ’19 led the offense with two goals and an assist. The defensive side of the ball played great against the Lions led by Ben Geier ’18 with three caused turnovers. Wabash fell to Piedmont 8-5.

For the Little Giants’ second game, the team traveled to North Carolina to compete against the first-year program against William Peace University. Wabash started off hot

with two goals from Tucker Dixon ’19 but quickly faced a Pacer offense that was determined to get a few of their own. Turnovers and transition struggles caused the Little Giants to only convert on seven goals against the Pacers. The Wabash offense was led by Tucker Dixon ’19 with four goals and two assists. AJ Shaheen ’21, Jake Taylor ’20, and Steven Stark ’19 each added a goal. William Peace defeated the Little Giants 11-7.

Wabash then opened their conference season against the Kenyon College Lords last Sunday. As fundamental struggles plagued the Wabash performance, the Lords were able to defeat the Little Giants 25-2. Geier and Aaron Elsing ’19 held strong on defense with two turnovers each. On offense, the only two Wabash goals were added from Stark and Dixon.

The Little Giants continue their conference schedule this Saturday at home against the College of Wooster.