TRACK AND FIELD STARTS CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP

ZACH MOFFETT ‘20 | STAFF WRITER • The Wabash indoor track and field team traveled to two events this past weekend. Their first event was the conference championship hosted at Denison University, while the other event they participated in was the
Fred Wilt Invitational hosted at Anderson University. Wabash
only participated in certain events during the NCAC Tournament at Denison and will continue the rest of the tournament this week as it is hosted here at Wabash.

At the conference tournament, the big story was the heptathlon event where Wabash had three tough competitors. Angus Edmundson ’21, Hunter Baehl ’20, and Ballard Suiter ’20 all three competed in this event this past weekend. Edmundson finished sixth overall with his highest finish was in the 60-meter hurdles where he recorded an 8.95 second time to gain 757 points in the event. He had a total of 3,752 total points after the weekend. Baehl followed close behind as he took an eighth place finish with his top event being the 60-meter dash that he finished in 7.42 seconds, recording 739 points in that event. He finished with a total of 3,693 points and Suiter brought in some more points as he took 11th, finishing with 3,319 total points.

The other portion of the team competed in the Fred Wilt Invitational in Anderson, which was non-scoring. PJ Mays ’19 and PJ Shafer ’18 both finished in the top three in Saturday’s event in the high jump. Shafer tied for first with a height of 6 feet, 1.25 inches, and Mays finished third with a top height of 5 feet 9.25 inches. Soon following this performance, Pete Trotter ’21 placed third in weight throw with his best throw of 54 feet, 2.5 inches. Josh Wiggins ’21 and RaShawn Jones ’20 displayed a very competitive race when they finished with a hair difference of .01 second. Wiggins took the first spot with a time of 8.47 and Jones merely behind with a time of 8.48. Also to add Joe Deiser ’21 took fourth place in the 800-meter race, Drew Lukens ’20 placed fifth in the 5,000-meter race, and finally Austin Ellingwood ’18 finished fifth in the 400-meter dash.

The Little Giants will gear up for the final part of the conference championship. Wabash will be hosting the event on March 2nd to March 3rd. There will be live coverage of the meet covered by the NCAC.