TENNIS LOSES SECOND NCAC MATCH TO KENYON

TUCKER DIXON ‘19 | SPORTS EDITOR • The Wabash College tennis team competed in its second NCAC match of the 2018 season against Kenyon College last Saturday.
The Lords of Kenyon traveled to Crawfordsville looking to improve their record to 3-2. Wabash looked to earn its first conference victory of the season. A strong 25th-ranked Kenyon roster proved too much for the Little Giants and the Lords took the victory by a team score of 8-1.

The Little Giants struggled against the powerful athletes from Kenyon. Kenyon swept the singles matchups and claimed victories in all but one of the doubles matches. “Kenyon, being one of our toughest matches, was a great test for us right before we travel for spring break,” Jordan Greenwell said. “Our number one doubles pulled out a great win and both two and three doubles battled really hard. Singles was less competitive but it was a good opportunity to improve against better players.”

The bright spot for the Little Giants in this match was dominant play from the number one doubles team of William Reifeis ‘18 and Patrick McAuley ‘19. After starting the doubles season 6-0, Reifeis and McAuley were determined
to continue stringing together victories. The duo started the match by breaking the serve of their opponents, Weston Noall and Alex Reiger, to award the pair the first game of the match. From there, it was smooth sailing for the Little Giants’ doubles team. Reifeis and McAuley claimed the only team point of the match for Wabash at a score of 8-6. This win extended their season performance to 7-0. “We are playing with a lot of confidence, both in ourselves and an in each other,” McAuley said. “It is translating into solid chemistry and a competitive mindset on the court.”

The Little Giants, now ranked 3-4, hope to rebound in their next match this weekend when they host the visiting Thunder from Wheaton College before heading out on their spring break trip to Florida. Competition begins at 11 a.m. at the Collett Tennis Center. Come out and support your fellow Little Giants.