WRESTLING WINS MID-STATE INVITE

JAKE CHRISMAN ‘20 | STAFF WRITER • This past weekend, the Little Giants took on their last regular season event of the 2017- 2018 season. Wabash wrestled their way to a first place finish as a team. 20 Wabash men finished in the top 8, and 4 capturing individual titles.

Finishing on top of the podium for the Little Giants was AJ Belden ‘18, Chris Diaz ‘19, Riley Lomenick ‘21, and Ethan Herrin ‘20. Belden finished the day 4-0 to take the title at 125 lbs. Diaz and Lomenick finished as the top seed, winning three matches each on their championship run. Herrin also went 3-0 to take first on the day.
“I think I wrestled pretty good on Saturday,” Diaz said. “I was able to get on the top of the podium and beat some guys that I lost too in the past.

Adding on four first place finishes, placing second for the Little Giants was Suny Nier

‘21, Brice Everson ‘20, Anthony Cicciarelli ‘21, Grant Gough ‘18, and Wade Ripple ‘21. “Overall, the team performed pretty well
on Saturday,” Diaz said. “We were able to get a lot of guys on the podium and took first as a team.” Other notable finishes for the Little Giants were Max Bishop ‘21, taking third, and Christian Redmond ‘20, Heath Ault ‘21, Hunter Bates ‘20, and Jake Stephenson ‘19, all finishing fourth.

The Little Giants return to action February 23 and 24 to host the NCAA Division III Central Regional. “There’s a lot of stress on all of us these last few weeks to get the guys that are wrestling at regionals in the best shape possible,” Diaz said. “It is definitely going to be a grind.” Wrestling begins Friday evening in Knowling Fieldhouse and continues on Saturday morning. Come out and support your Little Giants.