RUDICEL ’20 WINS LIP-SYNC BATTLE

BRAXTON MOORE ‘19 | NEWS EDITOR• Salter Hall was electric last Friday night as students from all over campus came together to watch and perform in a lip-syncing competition hosted by IFC President Braiden Slavens ’19. The performers strummed away on invisible guitars, danced across the stage in choreographed dance routines, and silently belted out the lyrics to their favorite tunes. Slavens’ event was hosted for the sole reason of promoting campus unity, drawing students out of their living units for a night of hilarity and music. The event was largely a great success, and all who walked onto the stage did so with smiles on their faces and a goal in their minds to take away first place glory for their respective living unit.

At the end of the night, it was Austin Rudicel ’20 who took the gold medal back to his Home at Phi Delta Theta. Rudicel spoke about stage fright, his song selection and how he decided upon it, and how he effectively delivered the only solo performance of the competition to lead him to victory.

“It took a lot to get up on the stage, but I knew that I had to put my best foot forward for the Top House,” Rudicel said. “You have to show yourself that you can accomplish anything if you have enough faith in yourself. I decided to go with the classic hit “Don’t Stop Me Now” by Queen. I’ve always been a big fan of their music, and I felt like that song had the right type of stage presence to deliver the electric atmosphere that the audience and judges were looking for. Performing solo, I felt like there was a lot more pressure, but on the other hand, I knew that there was no one to hold me back so my successes and failures would be my own.”

Slavens, who orchestrated the event, talked about his excitement regarding the competition, as well as the motivations for hosting it.

“The main motivation for the competition was to promote more campus unity,” Slavens said. “When students speak about what they would hope to improve at Wabash, the issue of campus unity is one that always comes up. By promoting more social events such as this one, we as students can tackle the issue of a more unified campus. I was excited to see the amount of performances that signed up for the event, and the number of students and faculty that came out to support our students.”

With the successful execution of the lip- syncing competition last week, many students are wondering if the event will return for
a consecutive year for the 2018-19 school year. While this topic is still unclear, Rudicel has maintained that if the event is hosted
next year he will return to defend his first place title.

“I would definitely participate in this event again,” Rudicel said. “I’ve always been a fan of karaoke and things like that, and I see this as an event that I could potentially take back to my fraternity house, friend groups, and clubs, I had a great time performing.”