WRESTLING CLAIMS TITLE AT JOHN SUMMA INVITE

JAKE CHRISMAN ‘20 | STAFF WRITER • The Little Giant wrestling team struck gold this past weekend at the John Summa Invitational with 3 individual champs, 17 top eight finishes in total, and capturing 1st place as a team. Jared Timberman siad, “As a team we did pretty well this weekend. We wrestled a pretty tough division 2 team in Wheeling Jesuit. They were pretty tough, but we were neck and neck with them most of the day.” Finishing on first was Austin Bethel ‘21 in the 149-lb weight class, Kyle Hatch ’21 in the 157-lb weight class, and Darden Schurg ’19 in the 174-lb weight class.

On his way to the title, Bethel topped five opponents with little difficulty.
He recorded four pins and a major decision, scoring 28 team points. In the first round, Bethel pinned Thomas More College’s Andrew Tevis in the first period. Bethel came back strong to capture a 14-6 major decision in round two to advance to the quarterfinals. In the quarterfinals and semifinals, Bethel pinned both Jason Miller of Theil and Samuel Florentino of Washington and Jefferson College in a combined time of less than three minutes. The finals looked much like the rest of Bethel’s day, and he pinned SUNY-Oswego’s Rocco Russo in little over a minute, claiming the title in the 149-lb class.

Hatch had little trouble taking the title at 157 this past weekend, going 4-0 and contributing 27 team points to Wabash’s tournament win. After a first round bye, Hatch came out strong in the second round with a 17-2 technical fall over Brockport College’s Sean O’Hagan. He followed this up with a quarterfinals pin over Galton Mike from Alfred State College midway through the third period. Hatch had an exciting semifinals match, capturing his second technical fall of the day, winning 16-1. In the one-sided finals, Hatch steamrolled Hunter Neely from Washington and Jefferson, pinning him in 3:53 into the match.

Schurg, the last individual champion of the day, went 4-0 on his way to his

first place finish. After a bye in the first round, Schurg exploded on the mat with a pin over SUNY-Oswego’s Michael Southwick in just under a minute and a half. He followed up with his second pin of the day over Ohio Northern’s Jacob Thompson in just 40 seconds. Schurg then escaped with a 13-5 major decision in the semifinals over Jared Walker from Washington and Jefferson to advance him to the first place match. Schurg captured an 18-1 technical fall over Ransom along with first place at 174.

Along with the three first place finishes, other great performances were Owen Doster ’20 took second place and went 3-1 at the 133 pound weight class. Following him was Chris Diaz ’19, who took third and captured three victories on the day, only losing to his own teammate Doster in the semifinals. Jared Timberman ’21 also had a strong showing, finishing third on the day and going 3-1. Grant Gough ’18 carried some momentum from last weekend, going 4-1 on the day and taking second place at 197. Heath Ault ‘21 also placed at 197-lb for the Little Giants, going 3-2 and taking fourth. Finally, at 285, Wade Ripple ’21 went 4-1 and took third on the day. As a result of the great individual performances this past weekend, the Little Giants took home first place as

a team. The Little Giants 189.5 team points, 59 points higher than second place Wheeling Jesuit University’s 140.5 team points. This marks the nationally eighth ranked Little Giants fifth top finish at a tournament this year. The Little Giants took first at
the Adrian College Invitational, the North Central College Invitational, Manchester’s Spartan Mat Classic, the Max Servies Duals, and, now, the John Summa Invitational.

The Little Giants compete in their last event of the regular tomorrow
at Manchester University. They will be competing in the Mid-States Invitational. Wrestling starts at 9 a.m.