TAKING NOTES – DR. GELBMAN

IAN WARD ‘19 | ONLINE EDITOR •
In the continuing The Bachelor series, Taking Notes, this past week we sat down with Shamira Gelbman, Assistant Professor of Political Science. To start, we were curious as to what genre Gelbman was first exposed to in childhood and how it shaped her current preferences
in music.

“Growing up in Brooklyn, NY you
may think that my music preferences were quite stereotypical, but it’s weird,” Gelbman said. This weirdness is due to the fact that Gelbman grew up in a religious community consisting of Greek Orthodox Jewish people. Therefore, from a early age Gelbman liked traditional classical music and opera-like religious hymns. With this sense of music came her own musical talents, which included being involved in various choirs and singing groups, as well as playing
the piano.

This musical taste continued throughout Gelbman’s formative
years, however once she began her undergraduate studies at Hunter College, Gelbman began to expand her musical offerings. Those offerings included pop songs of the 1990’s, not including the Grunge Movement. Also while at Hunter, Gelbman was involved in the Campus Hip-Hop club that was very prevalent at that time in New York City.

So what now? According to Gelbman, if she is grading papers or completing academic work, she is much more likely to listen to classical music or religious music of her formative years. This compares to driving and regular music listening where Gelbman prefers the 90’s or modern pop that we all know
of. However, there is one outlier in Gelbman’s music taste- Kanye West’s “Power” and similar beats.

According to Gelbman in graduate school, she began to get into Powerlifting and Cardio, and with the additions in lifestyle, her associated music
taste changed. Therefore, within the playlists of Gelbman, there are several soundtracks associated with workouts. For cardio, there are various playlists each with a set time associated with it, and a specific non-vocal then vocal song pattern to keep with the beat of the workout such as West’s “Power.” For lifting workouts, Gelbman prefers songs that have specific beats to associate with lifting movements.

Therefore, we can see that, like many other professors on campus, Gelbman’s music tastes are as diverse as course offerings at Wabash.