STRONG DEFENSE LIFTS BASKETBALL PAST KENYON

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

ZACH MOFFETT ‘19 | STAFF WRITER • The Little Giants basketball team is making strides this season. They just came off a tough loss against top conference opponent, the College of Wooster. Wabash followed up the tough loss with conference opponent Kenyon College at home Saturday. Kenyon is 6-12 overall in the 2017-2018 season. The Little Giants went into the contest with an 8-10 record.

The first half Wabash put on a performance defensively. They held Kenyon to 32.1% shooting from the field and 9.1% from beyond the arc. Kenyon only put up 24 points in the first half against Wabash. While the Wabash defense was solid, the offensive side of the ball was in a drought. They turned the ball over seven times in the first half and only managed to put up 33 points in the first half against a weak Kenyon defense. Wabash shot 48.3% from the field and 27.3% from behind the arc. Jack Davidson ’21 and Harrison Hallstrom ’20 led the charge with 11 points and eight points, respectively.

The second half seemed similar to the first as Kenyon struggled to put it together all around. They only managed to put up 27 points in the second half. Their shooting

percentage would change slightly as they shot 28% from the field and 18.2% from three point range. They still were able to force Wabash to turn the ball over four more times. Despite the turnovers, the Wabash defense played fantastic. The Little Giants offense still fell into a little bit of a struggle in the second half. “We just have to get things going more on the offensive end,” Hallstrom said. “We are leaving a lot of shots that we have open. We were definitely more prepared for the than the past and defensively we held them to 51 which is just really great.”

Jack Davidson ’21 finished with 15 points and Hallstrom finished with 13 points. Max Flinchum ’21 recorded his first career points on Saturday against Kenyon. Colten Garland
’20 has moved into sixth all-time in Wabash basketball history for career three point baskets. He hit his 110th in the game against Kenyon. Garland finished the game with five points. The Little Giants take their ninth win this season. The final score, Wabash 65 Kenyon 51.

Wabash will take on their next two opponents at home against conference opponents Hiram and Allegheny. Wabash moves to 9-10 overall and 5-7 in conference.