FASHIONABLY WABASH

AUSTIN HOOD ’21 | STAFF WRITER • The crowd in the Fine Arts Center’s Experimental Theater cheered as three Sphinx Club members, donning their pots and overalls, made their way down the runway to the tune of Old Wabash. They were followed by Joe Garcia ‘21, beaming with glee, pride, and perhaps some embarrassment as he performed his catwalk sporting his white t-shirt with the spray-painted “W” and wrapped in a Kappa Sig flag.

The 16 students of Associate Professor of Economics Christie Byun’s Freshman Tutorial, Fashion, Innovation, and Entrepreneurship, showcased their knowledge and some of their favorite outfits Monday evening at Wabash College’s first fashion show. Along with performing catwalks, which were also made by around a dozen volunteers from around the Wabash community, students in the tutorial produced, coordinated, emceed, created a playlist for, and took part in a Q & A session about the entire 30-minute show.

The theme of the show was fashion as it is on Wabash’s campus. Students strutted down the runway in five different categories of dress meant to represent all aspects of a Wallie’s wardrobe: casual, business casual, business, sport, creative and tradition-oriented.

“When I first came up with the idea of teaching a tutorial on fashion, I thought first of all this going to be awesome, second of all I’m totally crazy to actually do this thing,” Byun said. “But the students have really done a great job. They’ve shown very well how fashionable the men of Wabash can be. The idea behind the show was how students at The College dress in their everyday lives.

That includes the good, the bad and the ugly.”

Wallies from all different classes and living units strutted down the runway to show off diverse vestments. Students sported everything from sweats and sandals, meant to represent what a Wabash man wears when he’s late to class, to a well-tailored blue three piece suit fit for mock interviews and beyond.

“The blue suit really stood out to me,” Kevin Griffen ‘18 said. “I don’t know if I could ever go for it, that’s a little leap for me. But, I really appreciate fashion statements that are not the norm and make you go back and take a second look. That outfit really did that for me.”

Throughout the semester, students learned about the economics of the fashion industry as well as its political and social implications. The class visited Castleton

Square Mall and The Keystone Fashion Mall to meet with mall executives and to explore ins and outs of the fashion retail industries. After the show, students in the tutorial took part in a Q & A session with the audience where they reflected upon the course.

“How you dress reflects who you are,” Max Flinchum ‘21 said. “Whether you wear a hoodie or a power suit, you’re making a statement and it’s a statement you make everyday. If you look around fashion is everywhere. Fashion may be the ultimate form of democracy because everyone can use it for free expression and creativity.”