A DIFFERENT KIND OF BREAK

JAKE CHRISMAN ’20 | STAFF WRITER • Many students at Wabash have already begun plans for winter break, if they have not completed them already. Many of us will go skiing, visit family, or even go on a vacation to celebrate Christmas, but one story that often goes untold is that of the students who are studying abroad. Studying abroad meaning those who are doing that while still on Wabash’s campus. Wabash has a significant number of students from other countries that cover several continents, who’s plans often revolve around where they can travel. One on these students is Muhammad Ashar Nadeem ’20.

Nadeem is from Pakistan and does not celebrate Christmas, so how will he be celebrating this winter break? This is a special time for Nadeem because for the first time in over year, he is going home to see his family and friends.

Since Nadeem follows the Islamic faith, he does not celebrate Christmas and Islam does not have a major holiday over the break. However, Nadeem plans on celebrating his own holiday, homecoming. “In high school we would go to my grandmother’s house in the city and just explore the city to have a good time,” Nadeem said.

Compared to the big plans that some of us have been working on, Nadeem does not really have any. “I am just going to spend my break with my friends and family,” He said. “I have never been more excited to be able to eat my mother’s cooking in my own home. That is definitely what I miss the most.”

The excitement for Nadeem is overwhelming. “I have no words that can explain how anxious and excited I am to see my family and friends,” Nadeem said. “I cannot think about anything else right now.”

Another one of our brothers here at Wabash is Rithy Heng ’19. Heng is from the country Cambodia, which resides in Southeast Asia. Heng only goes home just once a year, which usually occurs during winter break. “I will be going home the Saturday after finals,” Heng said. So, what does a winter break look like in Cambodia? “When I go home, I usually go see my family first and catch up with them,” Heng said. “But they don’t go out too much because they are busy working.”

Heng’s family are farmers, so when they are not actively at their farm, they are selling their goods at the market. While he’s at home, Heng often goes out with his friends.

However, Heng has made special plans for this year. “My friends and I have already planned to go to Kulen Mountain to see the waterfall and have a good time.”

Heng does have one chore over break. He has to take a six-hour bus drive to the capital, Phnom Penh, where he can renew his visa so that he can come back to Wabash for the next year. However, this does not stop Heng from having a good time. “I have some friends there that I stay with for a couple of days and we go out and spend time together,” Heng said.

These are just two stories of what some of our Wabash brothers do over winter break. While your skiing, enjoying a Caribbean Cruise, or just plainly enjoying the company of your family while sitting around the fireplace this winter break, keep in mind those Wabash brothers who are doingto those same things just half-way around the world.