FUTURE WALLIES ABOUND

JACKSON BLEVINS ’20 | STAFF WRITER • Friday marks the start of Scarlet Honors Weekend, an exciting and informative time for prospective students. Scarlet Honors Weekend provides prospective high-school students with a true under-standing of what Wabash College is about. Chip Timmons ’96, Associate Dean for Enrollment, cited that there are many great opportunities to experience Wabash, but this one stands out. Timmons said, “If you’re going to see what Wabash is like and what it would be like to be a student, this is the best way we can show you.”

Prospective students will have many opportunities to experience Wabash inside and outside of the classroom. The students who have not visited Wabash yet will quickly learn about all aspects of Wabash, and students who have already been on campus will have their perspectives broadened. Inside the classroom students will be participating in a lecture and discussion which will immerse them in how a typical Wabash classroom runs and operates.

Outside of the classroom students will be engaging with other prospective students, faculty, and alumni through meals and networking opportunities. Another key component that makes this weekend special is the ability for students to stay overnight and experience what a weekend night is like at Wabash. The beginning of December may not be the best conditions for outside interaction and exploring of the campus. However, it does allow students to interact with current students outside of the classroom. Allowing a student to spend a night on campus can shore up some doubt that they have about becoming a Wabash Man. This is the 2nd year of Scarlet

Honors Weekend, as the Admissions Office is transitioning from the 127-year tradition of Honors Scholarship Weekend to an updated version.

With the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) being available to high school students in October of their senior year, students are starting to evaluate their college options earlier and even make decisions earlier. Last year 179 registered for Scarlet Honors Weekend and 168 attended, a number the admissions office is looking to increase. Joey Martoccio ’21 had an enlightening experience during his visit that ultimately led him to choose Wabash.

“I really liked the campus and all the small traditions involved, like walking around the arch and not stepping on the big W in the Allen Center,” Martoccio said. “I also liked how diverse the campus was when I got to walk around to all of the different housing units on campus. The weekend impacted my decision a lot, as I knew I wanted to come here and I ended up committing a few weeks after Scarlet Honors.” Chase Cochran ’20 also had a positive experience on the first ever Scarlet Honors Weekend. “I’m really glad I participated in Scarlet Honors Weekend, because the weekend before that I was set on going to Purdue,” Cochran said. “After really getting a taste of what Wabash was like, I said I’m done with Purdue, and it solidified my desire to come to Wabash.” Cochran was pleased with how many people he met and the brotherhood that he felt on his overnight visit.

The admissions office has worked through some challenges as they made the transition from a century-old tradition to an event that can keep up with the changing times in higher education. Not only has the admissions office stepped up to help make Scarlet Honors Weekend run smoothly, but all of the Wabash community has risen to the challenge as well.

“I think we have found the right type of event, the right time for the event, and I think we have a community that rallies to help support the college,” Timmons said. “Yes, the enrollment office leads the effort, but I think everyone contributes when it comes to putting our best foot forward to show off Wabash College … and everyone wants to be a part of it.”