AFTER ROUGH START TO SEASON, WABASKETBALL BEATS BACK QUACKERS

ZACH MOFFETT ‘20 | STAFF WRITER • The Wabash Basketball team started it’s 2017-2018 season over Thanksgiving break in St. Louis, Missouri. The team finished the season 11-15 last year and hopes to improve that this season.

They remain a young team with no seniors on the roster this year. They started the season with two exhibition games against Washington University and Webster University, then took on the home opener Monday from Fall Break.

The Little Giants faced #9 Washington University last week in the first game of the Lopata Classic. The Little Giants fell behind quickly at the beginning of the first half, but the Little Giants fight back behind Jack Davidson ’21, Harrison Hallstrom ’20, and Ben Stachowski ’19.

They slowly cut down the lead, and Stachowski, who went a 9-0 run before the end of the half, giving the Little Giants a seven-point lead, 38-31. “We did really well in the first half and then came out in the second and struggled a little bit, but we have a very young team,” Hallstrom said. The Little Giants went ice cold on offense in the second half only, shooting 33% on field goal range and 25% outside the arch.

The Little Giants defense was overcome with the experienced Washington offense as the Bears put up 51 in the second half. Wabash was held to 31 points in the second half. The Little Giants took their first loss of the season 70-82 despite a valiant effort.

The next day Wabash faced Webster University in the consolation game. A similar start happened against Webster as the Little Giants fell behind in the first part of the first half, but again they rallied back and went on a 18-0 run. They finished the first half leading over Webster 51- 42. Unfortunately, Wabash had another poor performance in the second half. The Little Giants did not score from the field for seven minutes, allowing Webster to crawl closer to the Wabash lead. With 4:42 left in the game Webster tied the game at 76.

In the final seconds of the game, Webster went up 86-84. With 11 seconds left, Davidson drove up and tied the game at 86, forcing overtime. The Little Giants could not hold on in overtime as they lost 93-91.

Davidson ended the game with 23 points and also recognition as a member of the All-Tournament team. “A lot of these guys are seeing their first college game and the young team is what took a toll on us with the first two games,” Hallstrom said.

The Little Giants got back from Thanksgiving Break with a home opener against Earlham College.

Earlham came in with a record of 1-2. The first half would prove rough for Wabash as they kept a tight game with the Quakers. Wabash went 12-25 for field goals in the first half and 3-9 for three point field goals. They ended the first half leading 35-34 over the Quakers.

The second half was a different story when the Little Giants got hot on both sides of the ball. They went up to shooting 58% field goals in the second half and shot 62% from outside the arch. Davidson led the team in points ending the game with 35 and going 5-6 on three-point opportunities.

The Little Giant dominated the second half and finished the game winning 82-69. “Our offense has improved. Last year, we were scoring in the 60’s and 70’s, and this year, we have been able to score a lot more easily,” Hallstrom said. The Little Giants go on the road to take on conference opponent Wooster Saturday. The Little Giants look to improve their 1-2 record.