Mid-Thanksgiving Break Sports Update

By Ian Ward ’19 |Online Editor|

Since last Friday, the winter Sports season at Wabash College sprung into full force, and several important milestones were set in these last few days over break.

To start, the Swimming and Diving team traveled to Indiana University- Purdue University Indianapolis, (IUPUI) for the three-day House of Champions swimming meet housed at the IUPUI natatorium. Wabash finished ninth out of 14 teams; however, it was the highest placed Division Three team at the meet. 14 Wabash Swimmers qualified for finals in the meet, while 9 swimmers qualified for the “B” finals. At the top of the final placers was Jan Dziadek ‘21 who broke the Wabash record in the 100 butterfly event, with a time of 50.34 seconds in the preliminary round. Dziadek rode that performance to a 14th place finish in the finals with a time of 50.74 seconds. Other strong finishers for Wabash included Kyle Louks ‘19, finishing 22nd in the C final for the 100 Butterfly and Wesley Slaughter ‘21, placing 12th in the 50 freestyle B event. Wabash will compete next in a pentathlon event hosted by the Little Giants December 2, starting at 1 p.m.

Also on Friday, Wabash Basketball began the 2017 campaign in St. Louis, Missouri, playing in the 34th annual Lopata Classic hosted by Washington University in St. Louis. Wabash began the tournament facing off against the 9th ranked Washington University Bears and fell 82-70 Wabash battled hard and came back from a 10 point deficit. Jack Davidson ‘21 lead the team with 19 points, and Alex Eberhard ‘20 with 12 points. On Saturday, Wabash was back to work, playing the Weber University Gorlocks. The final in that game was 93-91 in an overtime loss. Leading Wabash in this game was Davidson with 23 points and Ben Stachowski ‘19 with 14 points. Davidson’s performance in the tournament led him to be placed on the All-Tournament Team.

From here, Wabash comes home to their home-opener, Monday, November 27.

Wrestling was also in action over the weekend, competing in the Concordia Open. Owen Doster ‘20 won the 133 pound weight class, and 9 other wrestlers placed in top eight finishes throughout the tournament. Wabash Wrestling next faces off in the Indiana Little State Tournament at Manchester University Saturday, December 2.

In Cross Country, Wabash is now home to another All-American as Dom Patacsil ‘19 placed 12th at the 2017 NCAA Division III Men’s Cross Country Championship. Congrats Dom!