WRESTLING PINS MANCHESTER

JAKE CHRISMAN ‘20 | STAFF WRITER • The Little Giants wrestling team dueled Manchester University last weekend, winning by a final team score of 33-5. “It was a rivalry match, so one team can always be on more than the other,” Hunter Bates ’20 said. “They came out and gave it their best swing early, but ultimately our depth put us over the top tonight.” Scoring for the Little Giants was Kaleb Guzior ’21, Brice Everson ‘20, Kyle Hatch ’21, Ethan Herrin ’20, Darden Schurg ’19, Hunter Bates ’20, Kyle Schaffer ’21, and Wade Ripple ’21.

In addition to a win over Manchester University, the Little Giants also celebrated senior night. The Little Giants honored AJ Belden ‘18, Devin Broukal ‘18, and Grant Gough ’18. Guzior represented the Little Giants in the 125 pound weight class. In a back and first period, Manchester was on top 8-4. Two stalling calls in the second period landed the score at 8-5 after the second with riding time in locked up for the Little Giants. After a penalty, reversal, and four back points in the fourth, Guzior came out on top 13-8.

Everson won for the Little Giants, 15-2, at 141 pounds. He led after the first period 6-0 after big throw that energized the home crowd. After a Manchester escape, Everson was able to get a takedown in the final 20 seconds of the second period, to improve his lead to 8-1. Everson switched the positions with a reversal in the third and gained a series of near fall points and riding time.

Hatch started off quick with an early takedown, but an escape and a penalty equalized it. Then, Manchester got a takedown late in the first to take the lead, 4-2. Manchester escaped in the second, but Hatch responded with a takedown. Manchester then got a reversal late in the period to keep the lead 7-5. Hatch escaped early in the third, but gave up a takedown and had to escape again. Hatch then earned point from stalling to make the score 9-8 late in the third, but a big throw left no doubt. With seconds left, Hatch pinned the Manchester wrestler, winning in the 157 pound weight class.

Herrin exploded in the first period with a quick takedown and near fall, but Manchester was able reverse the position midway through the first. Herrin escaped and got a takedown late to improve his lead to 9-2. Herrin escaped on bottom in the second, but couldn’t escape from the Manchester takedown and back points that he quickly reversed. Herrin led 12-6 after the second. He gave up an escape and a takedown in the third before escaping himself. Herrin then took down the Manchester wrestler and finished on top to win 14-9 at 165 pounds.

Schurg represented the Little Giants well at 174 pounds, taking down Manchester in a matter of seconds and battled throughout the first period to improve his lead to12-3. Starting on bottom, Schurg escaped and took down Manchester in just a half a minute then proceeded to improve his lead until he won by technical fall 20-5.

Bates started off slow at 184 pounds, leaving the board was scoreless to end the first, but Bates was able to escape in 6 seconds at the start of the second, and after a series of minor scores on both sides, Bates led 2-1. Bates started on top in the third, but gave up an escape midway through the period. After a late takedown in Bates’s favor, he came out on top 4-2.

“Last year, I played two sports, football and wrestling, and I had to make a big decision and give up football for the best of my academics and to focus on my wrestling career.” Bates said. “It feels really good to that work pay off.”

Schaffer battled with the Manchester wrestler for position in the first, but neither party was able to score. After a Manchester escape in the second, Schaffer took him down and rode out the remainder of the period. Schaffer scored a quick reversal in the third, but Manchester was able to get

away before any other points could be scored. Schaffer took another shot and was able to score, but Manchester was able to answer.

After an escape and another Schaffer take down, he finished on top to win 9-5 at 197 pounds. “It’s great to go to wrestling every day where your teammates push you and see that translate over to tonight,” Schaffer said. “At the end, it comes down to who wants to win more as a team and as an individual.”

Ripple, in a battle of the giants, duked it out in the first period, but neither him nor Manchester was able to capitalize on a few offensive opportunities. Ripple escaped from the bottom and after a penalty took a 2-0 lead. This lead to a quick takedown and a win by fall with 26 seconds left in the second period.

The Little Giants return to action Saturday, November 18 when they travel to Concordia University in Mequon, Wisconsin to compete in the Concordia Open. “We have to keep getting better each and every day,” Schaffer said. “We have to continue to work as hard as we can, block out the negatives, and just keep focusing on getting better.”