Moving On, Taking What’s Ours

ZACH MOFFETT ‘20 | STAFF WRITER • The Wabash football team went on their longest road trip this past weekend to Allegheny to take on the 3-5 Gators. The Little Giants just came off of a tough conference loss to undefeated Wittenberg. The Little Giants held a record of 6-2 overall and 5-2 in conference heading into Allegheny. The Gators put up a tough test for the Little Giants.

The first quarter was not good for Wabash. The Gators first struck with a field goal, then on a 1-yard touchdown run before the end of the quarter putting the Gators up by 10. They added yet another field goal before the Little Giants kicked it in gear.

Wabash broke the ice with a 1-yard run from Ike James ’20, and he was just getting started. On the next drive, the Little Giants scored again, this time on a 21-yard pass from Weston Murphy ’20 to Dylan Buresh ’18 to put the Little Giants up 14-13. The defense held the Gators to 13 at the half.

Allegheny would strike first coming out of halftime, retaking the lead on a 44-yard pass. The Gators led 20-14. The Wabash running game would then go off. James would score two more times in the third, once on a 22-yard run from scrimmage and once on a 49-yard run from scrimmage. Then, quarterback Austin Nightingale ‘19 came into the game and scored on an 8-yard run to extend the Wabash lead to 34-20. The Gators trimmed the lead down on a 65-yard pass. The Little Giants led at the end of the third quarter 34- 27.

The fourth quarter went back and forth between the offenses of Allegheny and Wabash. The Gators tied the game on a 22-yard run. Then, Murphy stepped up and threw a 42-yard pass to Ra’Shawn Jones ’20 to retake the Wabash lead. With less than three minutes left in the game, Allegheny scored again to tie the game at 41. In the closing minutes of the game, the Little Giants marched down the field to set up another 1-yard run for James to put Wabash up 48-41. The Wabash win was not secure until Byshup Rhodes ’19 got a game ending sack, forcing the Gator quarterback to fumble the ball, which was recovered by Deonte Simpson ‘18. The Little Giants would hold on, winning 48-41.

James made big moves again, now now standing at fifth on the all-time rushing yards at Wabash with 1,232 yards. Issac Avant ’20 also made a big impact on the running game Saturday, rushing for 88 yards on 11 carries. Murphy went 13 for 23 on pass attempts and threw for his career-best 220 yards. The Wabash offense had 493 yards total against Allegheny. Despite the 374 yards in passing the defense allowed, the Wabash front did will behind senior Klay Fullenkamp ’18, who led the team with seven tackles. Wabash held the running game to 160 yards, but the Gators had 534 yards of total offense on the Little Giants. The Little Giants moved to 7-2 overall and 6-2 in conference.

Bell Week is upon us at the Wabash College campus, and it is time to win the Bell back.

“There is a lot at stake here, as there is every year. We are going into enemy territory and it’s going to be one mean and nasty game,” Evan Hansen ’19 said. “It is time to see how much gravel we have in our gut.”

The Little Giants will head down to Greencastle on Saturday to take on the DePauw Tigers. The game is being broadcast on Fox Sports Midwest, Fox Sports Indiana, and Fox College Sports WNDY 91.3. The Monon Bell will be the final game for both the Tigers and the Little Giants this season.