WABASH LOSES SECOND NCAC GAME TO WITT

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

ZACH MOFFETT ‘20 | STAFF WRITER • Last weekend, the Wabash College Little Giants faced the undefeated Wittenberg University Tigers. This game had huge playoff implications and with a Wabash victory the Little Giants would be in contention for the conference title. Wabash entered the weekend 6-1 overall and 5-1 in conference play. The Little Giants utilized an offensive strategy that had not been seen much from the Wabash offense this season. Isaac Avant ’20 and Ike James ’20 were highlighted as two backfield weapons in the wildcat formation.

The first quarter got off to a rough start for the Little Giants as they ran into some penalty trouble on defense, which allowed for the Wittenberg offense to strike first. Early in the second quarter the Wabash offense struck back as Weston Murphy ’20 threw a 19-yard pass to Ra’shawn Jones ’20, tying the game up at seven. Before the half, the Tigers put up another touchdown on a 32-yard pass. The Tigers failed to make the extra point which made ended the half at Wabash 7, Wittenberg 13.

Wabash came out in the third quarter with a vengeance. James tied the game for the Little Giants on a three yard run. Schuyler Nehrig ’20 kicked the extra point putting the Little Giants on top 14-13. Both the Wittenberg and Wabash defense held strong until the fourth when Wittenberg scored on a 24-yard pass. The Tigers successfully got the two point conversion, making the score Wabash 14, Wittenberg 21.

Wabash struggled on the offensive side of the ball as they only rushed for 106 yards and threw for 156. They were also 1-14 on third down conversions, which made it difficult to generate sustained offensive drives for the Little Giants.

The Little Giant defense stood their ground as they held the powerful Wittenberg offense to 293 total yards and only allowed 83 rushing yards. Evan Hansen ’19 led the Little Giants in tackles for the third straight week with eight. Also helping Hansen was Artie Equihua ’20 and Byshup Rhodes ’19 who each recorded sacks. Wabash put in a spectacular effort against a fantastic Wittenberg team, but they fell short in the closing minutes of the fourth quarter. The final score was Wabash 14, Wittenberg 21.

The Little Giants are back on the road this week, facing conference opponent Allegheny College. The Gators are 3-5 overall and 2-5 in conference. They put up a miraculous fight against DePauw University, but fell short. The game will be Saturday at 1 p.m. in Meadville, PA.