Bleeding for a Cause

Bleedforthebell-C_M

Last years “Bleed for the Bell” Blood Drive (Photo Courtesy of Communications and Marketing)

Jackson Blevins ’20 |On Tuesday, November 7, Wabash College will be participating in the annual Bleed for the Bell Blood Drive competition. The event will be held from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Knowling Fieldhouse in the Allen Center. On the seventh, the Wabash community and DePauw University community will hold a one-day event to see which school can donate the most blood. This will be the 17th year of the event, starting back in 2000. This competitive day of donating blood has been a valuable asset to the Red Cross blood banks since 2000. The event is free and open to the public, and it is highly encouraged that anyone who is willing and able to donate blood would do so on this day. The housing unit with the most donors will receive free wings courtesy of the Athletic Department.  

This event is being sponsored by the Red Cross and many Wabash organizations on campus.  Wabash Wellness (through the athletic department) and Alpha Phi Omega will be lending a hand for this event. The APO at Wabash has played a large role in providing resources and manpower to the event for many years and will do so again this year. Robert Wunderlich ‘18 will be one of many students and faculty who will be giving their time to help out with the event. When asked about the APO’s role for the event, Wunderlich said, “We will be helping the Red Cross set up and tear down the event. We have done this for many years and look forward to doing it again. It is very challenging to compete with DePauw because they have around 2,500 students and we have around 900 students. However, it is impressive that we have won in the past years.”

The athletic department oversees campus wellness, and they are playing a large role in the event as well. Athletic director Greg Shaheen and Operations Administrator Sue Dobbs-Schneider are some of the athletic department staff leading the charge for the blood drive. Shaheen has done a lot of work behind the scenes leading up the event alongside Dobbs-Schneider, who had some words of wisdom for the Wabash community. As a recipient of a blood transfusion herself, she said, “I encourage everyone in the Wabash community to give blood. It takes about an hour of your time but it is a relatively smooth process. Make sure to come hydrated, as I came last year and they sent me home because I was too dehydrated. Lastly, be sure to sign up early to donate because the Red Cross needs to know how many technicians to bring to campus.”

The Red Cross’s goal for Wabash is to get 129 people signed up and to eventually have 78 people donate blood, a realistic goal for the Wabash community. This is a great opportunity to grab anyone you know and bring them to the Allen Center so we can out-donate our rivals from the south.  Winning the blood drive competition would be a great start to Monon Bell Week, so roll up your sleeves and let’s get to donating.