Women Of Wabash (Part 2)

In the continuing series, Women of Wabash, The Bachelor interviewed a second group of women around campus who work to make a difference in the lives of students. These ladies fill various roles around campus, from athletics to archives, and were eager to share their stories concerning their childhood, hobbies, and families, as well as their respective Wabash stories. While each woman varies in their campus positions and how they came to work for Wabash, it was clear that they are all passionate about Wabash and its continued success.

Wabash College is known for its strenuous academics, as well as the high-level athletics program that attracts student-athletes from around the country. College-level sports are a step up from high school, and it takes the most well-trained staff to keep their bodies fresh and prepared. Among the training staff at Wabash is Lauren Vincent, originally born and raised in the small town of Sheridan, Indiana. Lauren, however, did not want to be a small-town girl forever; upon graduating high school, she decided to attend Purdue University right up the road in West Lafayette. While there, she studied athletic training in a four-year program that emphasized observation and hands-on education. After her undergraduate studies, she went on to gain a master’s degree in the same subject area. At first, Lauren started out as a graduate assistant at Bloomington North High School in their athletic department. Once she learned her skills could apply further, she sought an athletic training position at the collegiate level. “I had friends and family friends that came to Wabash as students, and I always knew of Wabash,” Lauren said. “It was in our backyard being from central Indiana.” After having taken up her position here at the College, Lauren now dedicates her life to serving the Wabash community. Her days consist of injury treatment and rehab but also friendly conversations. She admits that she wants the best for the athletes, but she understands the training room represents an escape –a place for athletes to come and relax. In her free time, Lauren enjoys spending time with family and friends. She is also very involved in her local church.

Another significant aspect of Wabash that separates it from other schools is the emphasis on world travel. In many classes, students have unique chances to take their studies to opposite parts of the globe; this includes study-abroad programs, international fellowships, and immersion trips. These trips, however, take loads of planning, and the College can thank Teresa Teague for handling it. Teresa is from Crawfordsville but attended travel school in North Miami Beach, Florida. During her time at school, she broke down airline systems, memorized flight schedules, and enhanced her ability to provide personable customer service. After receiving her degree, the young travel agent worked a variety of jobs, including a high school computer teacher. Teresa designed and taught her own program. “I knew enough about computers, so I just had to throw it all together,” Teague said. “I was the first computer teacher at Lincoln, so there weren’t any guidelines to follow.” After building up her tech skills, Teresa moved on to Wabash. In her position here at the College, Teresa coordinates all business-related travel sectors: finances, budget analysis, and so on. In her free time, she enjoys playing cards and traveling. She has been to many places including Canada, Jamaica, California, and the Bahamas.

Wabash is a school for men, but many women (on campus) rightly claim it be a significant part of their lives. For Marianne Isaacs, her connection to the brotherhood all started when she met her husband Jacob Isaacs ‘99. While studying History and Secondary Education at Ball State University, she met Isaacs ‘99 after telling a crazy story to her friend in front of her soon-to-be husband. After being married in 2003, Marianne decided to go back to school and then started to look for jobs. She and her husband, however, wanted to go home to Wabash. “God put me here for a reason,” Isaacs said. “Wabash is my home.” After some Wabash networking, Marianne made contacts with a few Wabash alumni and was offered her first job working at the College for Bon Appetit, the food catering service here on campus. She reminisces about her time working during Big Bash. “I worked ten Big Bash events in a row,” Isaacs said. “I loved it.” Over time, she worked her way up to the Advancement Office, the building right in between Trippet Hall and Career Services. On a daily basis, Marianne works with current students and alumni in receiving donations that help progress the livelihood of the College. One of her ongoing projects is to develop a statistics system for managing numbers and other logistics. Her most significant motivator happens to be the students; she feels that every man enrolled on campus has something to offer. Marianne lives in Crawfordsville with her husband and their recently adopted daughter.

Beth Swift was born and raised in Darlington, Indiana just miles North of Crawfordsville. As a child, she spent a lot of time outside with friends enjoying the fresh air and warm sun. Beth attended Purdue University where she studied Communications. After a few years in college, Beth put school on hold to marry her husband. After he, sadly, passed away, she returned to school and finished her degree. Upon graduating, Beth took up many jobs. For a while, she worked as a realtor in the residential district of Crawfordsville. Later on, she started a local newspaper. In her current job, Beth works in the basement of the Lilly Library handling Wabash’s unique history. On a daily basis, the archive office receives old Wabash artifacts from alumni and other friends of the College. Objects can be anything from old Sphinx Club pots to varsity letter jackets. Beth notes how her job is hard due to the vastness and complexity of all the historical sources. Nonetheless, she loves history and continues to be a vital aspect of the Wabash Community.